VM - Series

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

VM - Series

L0 Member

Hello, people!

I have a important question to solve. So I think here is the right place to ask. 

When we talk about VM Series and looking for a different licenses, can you tell me the difference between VM-100 and VM-100-ENT?

What kind of licenses we have when we talk about VM-100 and VM-100- ENT? What is a main difference between them? In which case I can use either the VM-100 or the VM-100 ENT?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @dimitar.mihov ,

I was not aware of VM-100-ENT, so I had to google it. From what I could found it seems it is "single auth code that allows you to register 25 instances of the VM-100".

Q: What kind of licenses we have when we talk about VM-100 and VM-100- ENT

A: You need to understand that VM-XXX license is used only for defining the VM firewall capacity (how many CPUs it will use and what throughput it is supporting). You still need subscription licenses for other services (DNS security, GP, Threat Protection, URL, etc). Palo previously sell VM bundles - single auth code for VM capacity any specific subscriptions services.

Q: What is a main difference between them?

A: I personally haven't see -ENT license, but based on what I understand from google, Such license probably is useful to managed service providers or big companies where they can deploy multiple firewall using single auth code.

Now all being said I believe those are not relevant anymore. Starting from PanOS 10.0 PAN have switched to different licensing model for the virtual firewalls - Software NGFW Credits (paloaltonetworks.com)

Instead of being limited to two (or three can't remember) fixed bundles, now you have the option to "customize" your deployment and choose what subscriptions you want to enable on the VM.

Now you buy credits, those credits you spend by defining how many CPUs and what subscriptions you want to enable.

As you can see in the link above the new model is compatible with VMs running PanOS older than 10.0

Can you share the context of your question?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @dimitar.mihov ,

I was not aware of VM-100-ENT, so I had to google it. From what I could found it seems it is "single auth code that allows you to register 25 instances of the VM-100".

Q: What kind of licenses we have when we talk about VM-100 and VM-100- ENT

A: You need to understand that VM-XXX license is used only for defining the VM firewall capacity (how many CPUs it will use and what throughput it is supporting). You still need subscription licenses for other services (DNS security, GP, Threat Protection, URL, etc). Palo previously sell VM bundles - single auth code for VM capacity any specific subscriptions services.

Q: What is a main difference between them?

A: I personally haven't see -ENT license, but based on what I understand from google, Such license probably is useful to managed service providers or big companies where they can deploy multiple firewall using single auth code.

Now all being said I believe those are not relevant anymore. Starting from PanOS 10.0 PAN have switched to different licensing model for the virtual firewalls - Software NGFW Credits (paloaltonetworks.com)

Instead of being limited to two (or three can't remember) fixed bundles, now you have the option to "customize" your deployment and choose what subscriptions you want to enable on the VM.

Now you buy credits, those credits you spend by defining how many CPUs and what subscriptions you want to enable.

As you can see in the link above the new model is compatible with VMs running PanOS older than 10.0

Can you share the context of your question?

L0 Member

Thank you for your answer! Now I understand what is the difference between them and when we can use VM-100-ENT. 

The context of my question was, that I searched in Palo Alto Price List and I saw that it has licenses for VM-100 and VM-100-ENT, but I couldn't find information, therefore I asked here.

Hi @dimitar.mihov 

I  usually don't deal with ordering licenses and price lists, so I am not very competent , but I am surprise VM-xxx licenses are still shown the price lists. Software tokens should be the way forward, so I would suggest to focus on those.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!