Proxy id between Palo Alto firewall and Cisco ASA

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Proxy id between Palo Alto firewall and Cisco ASA

L4 Transporter

Hello Experts

PA side there are two subnets: 10.0.1.0/24, 10.0.2.0/24 and Cisco side there are also three subnets 172.16.1.0/24 , 172.16.2.0/24.

On PA firewall, I defined the proxy-id as below:

proxy-id1: local: 10.0.1.0/24 remote: 172.16.1.0/24 

proxy-id2: local: 10.0.1.0/24 remote: 172.16.2.0/24 

proxy-id3: local: 10.0.1.0/24 remote: 172.16.1.0/24 

proxy-id4: local: 10.0.1.0/24 remote: 172.16.2.0/24 

My questions are:

1- On Cisco side, how I will define the ACL. I mean I will define the four ACL or only one ACL with two source and two destination? 

2- Everytime, if new subnet is added to pass through tunnel. I need to create proxy-id. There is any scalable method for this?

Regards,

GR

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Palo does not care about Proxy ID because it uses routing table to decide where to send traffic (route based vpn).

But as to negotiate IPSec configuration needs to match at both sides so Proxy ID in Palo is just to make Cisco happy.

Cisco on the other hand uses policy based vpn and encryption domains there are used to decide if traffic should be routed into tunnel or not.

So yes you have to have all subnets added to Proxy ID to have traffic flowing.

5 subnets at both sides for example means 25 Proxy ID's -> 5x5.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

Hi Raido 

Thanks for your valueable feedback. I heard in IKEV2, there is some concept of superset like on PA if I define 10/8 and remote as 172.16/16. Can we do something like that? or it is something else

I have not used IKEV2 so maybe someone who has can help here.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

Any one here for IKEV2 explaination?

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!