Palo Alto Networks Announces the World's First ML-Powered NGFW
Palo Alto Networks announced the world's first ML-Powered Next-Generation Firewall. During the launch event, experts, peers, and Palo Alto Network leaders talked about what's new in this release and why cybersecurity needed this radical new approach.
If you didn't attend the launch event in your region there's still time to register and watch the videos and breakout sessions:
CHECK OUT THE EVENT!
Nir Zuk, Founder and CTO, Palo Alto Networks
Nir Zuk talked about hitting a wall in current security methods. With the exploding number of IoT devices and the increasing complexity of security policies, the world was ready for more disruption! It's time to change network security to bring in the machines and stop working manually. Bring machine learning into the core of network security.
- ML must be inline
- ML must be both embedded and cloud based
- Near real-time ML should make instant changes (as opposed to signature updates every X minutes)
- Massive data collection is required for ML
Introducing the word's first ML-driven NGFW!
Customer and Analyst Perspective
Industry leaders and experts shared their thoughts and talked about what you should demand from your network security vendor and their motivation on why they chose Palo Alto Networks as a solution for their businesses.
[from left to right] Stephanie Balaouras - VP & Research Director, Forrester; Daniel Sergile - Deputy CISO, Ciox Health; Sreeni Kancharla - VP & CISO, Cadence Design Systems; Suresh Sathyamurthy - SVP Marketing, Palo Alto Networks
Here are some key points that were discussed:
- ML is required to identify threats immediately in huge amounts of data
- Hybrid workforce, workload environment, IoT devices will explode
- Everything baked into one product, no point products required
- There is a need for an agnostic security approach
- Traditional security will not work on Hybrid cloud/Multi cloud environments
- Hybrid workforce will be permanent—remote workforce
- IoT security is exploding and will become your responsibility
- There is no on-prem edge anymore; the new norm is that the edge is everywhere
Lee Klarich, Executive Vice President and Chief Product Officer, Palo Alto Networks
Lee Klarich explained how attacks are evolving and how the assets we need to protect are evolving (IoT). The shift to a mobile workforce and cloud have significantly expanded the surface area. With that said, it's imperative that security is improved.
What is the ML-Powered NGFW?
The foundation of the ML-Powered NGFW is the current next-generation firewall. However, we've added three key aspects:
- Prevent – Put ML inline with zero delay update signatures. Prevent up to 95% of zero-day malware
- Detect – Extend the ML security analytics to IoT security
- Improve – ML-powered policy recommendations. Automate and simplify
The ML-Powered NGFW plus more than 70 new features are all there in the new PAN-OS 10.0!
As if that wasn't enough, here's a bit more just to make you drool:
- Decryption enhancement (adding visibility and troubleshooting enhancements, TLS 1.3 support)
- HA-clustering (cluster up to 16 devices)
- Device-ID (IoT enhancement to switch from a static to a dynamic and context driven security policy)
- GlobalProtect enhancements
To add to that, there is an enhancement of all existing security services and the introduction of IoT security (integrated, seamless IoT security). This includes enhanced hardware (new data processing card), software (CN-series for containerized next-generation firewall), SASE (application centric SD-WAN capabilities), and of course PAN-OS enhancements! Pretty exciting stuff; wouldn't you say?
Make sure you don't miss the different deep dive tracks that cover several topics, including:
- Four things you need to secure your Hybrid Cloud
- Best of Breed now integrated in a platform
- IoT devices in your enterprise – Are you at risk?
- Introducing IoT security: A practical deep dive & demo
- What's new in PAN-OS 10.0
- What's new in Hybrid cloud security: Intro to CN-series
In case you missed the LIVE launch in your region, make sure to register and check out the videos and breakout sessions.
A Paradigm Shift in Cybersecurity... Intelligent Network Security
Thanks for taking time to read the blog.
If you enjoyed this, please hit the Like (thumbs up) button, don't forget to subscribe to the LIVEcommunity Blog.