Cortex XDR folder exclusion

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Cortex XDR folder exclusion

L0 Member

Hello,

does anyone know if it is possible to exclude an entire folder on a Windows machine from Cortex XDR scan in order to launch executable files without being blocked and having to add the file hash to the whitelist ?

4 REPLIES 4

L0 Member

You are able to define specific files and folders to exclude from examination and allow for execution. In the Policy you want this to apply to, it's under 'Malware Security Profile' > 'Files/Folders in Allow List'.

Here is the link to the documentation that explains the process:
https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/content/dam/techdocs/en_US/pdf/cortex/cortex-xdr/cortex-xdr-pro-ad...

L4 Transporter

Hi @DanieleGerola-

@Ryan_Saulsbury is correct.  You can allow exclusions in the malware profile.  You may have to do this for each component -- portable executables, office docs, scans.  I've included a few screenshots where you would do this.  The screenshots also have examples of the formatting.

PE's and DLL

dfalcon_1-1600090070937.png

Scans

dfalcon_0-1600090027841.png

David Falcon 
Senior Solutions Architect, Cortex
Palo Alto Networks® 

My interpretation of the setting for exclusion for files in the Malware profile is only for dormant files when you use the weekly/monthly scan.  How do you exclude an entire folder completely?

Ah, I see now... I overlooked the first picture!  Thanks!  I was not the original poster, but we appear to have a conflict with an encryption product.

• 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!