AIM 8.0.10.2 client does not use the "aim" App-ID, it uses "aim-express" which we need block

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

AIM 8.0.10.2 client does not use the "aim" App-ID, it uses "aim-express" which we need block

L0 Member

I opened a case - 00720785 - but after significant troubleshooting, repeating the behavior via screen shares with Palo Alto technical support and sending packet captures, I was asked to post this here.

We need to use the America Online Instant Messenger (AIM) client since our compliance recording solution requires it. However, the traffic from the AIM client, version 8.0.10.2, does not use the "aim" App-ID which Palo Alto created for this purpose. Instead, the traffic gets categorized under the aim-express App-ID, the same as the AIM website, which we need to block, where our compliance recording solution does not work. 

If I block the URLs for the AIM website, the AIM client fails to load. 

Is there any way to either: 
1. block the AIM website so that the AIM client still works or 
2. update the "aim" App-ID so that the AIM client traffic is correctly categorized?

1 REPLY 1

Community Team Member

Hi @GGallent,

I'm sure something went wrong here ...

Sure you can request new APP-IDs at ''submit-an-application''.

However, if an App-ID or custom App-ID signature is not working as expected, a support engineer should help troubleshoot the issue + escalate if a change in the app-ID is required.

There might be someone here to provide a workaround (if there is any... unfortunately I haven't played around much with AIM) ... but in the end, if the app itself needs an update then this is not the place to ask.  The case should be escalated in my opinion after proprer reproduction.

Cheers,

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!