ARP timeout

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

ARP timeout

L3 Networker

Hello,

We have a customer who is facing issue described by this KB article :

I wonder whether it is possible to change the default timeout value which is set to 1800 seconds ?

It could be very helpfull in some situations, and most of the network devices allow to change this value.

I searched the Admin guide and CLI guide as well as the KB but I didn't find anything concerning this point.

Regards,

Laurent

3 REPLIES 3

L6 Presenter

According to these threads it seems that the value if 1800 seconds is hardcoded and cannot be changed.

Hopefully you can issue this as a feature request (given that this "hardcoded" isnt burned into the NPU's being used):

Thanks for your answer.

I read that PanOS 5.0.1 has implemented an increased ARP table. This could helps in some situations.

Regards

Another workaround could be to put a L3 device (L3 switch or such) in front of your PA and setup a linknet between this L3 device and the PA box.

Like so:

PA <- 10.0.0.1/30, 10.0.0.2/30 -> L3-device <- 192.168.255.254/16

This way the PA box only see one mac, the mac of 10.0.0.2 (or whatever ip you setup). While the L3-device takes the hit regarding shitloads of clients vs. mac-addresses.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!