Azure VM-Series licensing questions

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Azure VM-Series licensing questions

L1 Bithead

I'm curious about how Azure's VM-Series licenses are authenticated.

As far as I know, VM-Series licenses are authenticated through CPUID and UUID, which have information in Azure.
We get this through the permissions of Azure Configuration settings.

Is there any documnet where I can get a little bit more detail on this?

Q1) What does CPUID mean?
Q2) What does UUID mean?
Q3) Can multiple VMs with the same CPUID be the same?

Customers want to know in detail how the VM-Series license is authenticated, renewed, and operated in Azure.
Because the customer had to redistribute the firewall due to an issue in Azure before, and at this time, a license issue occurred after the backup process of the previous VM, and it was not registered with Panorama, so it was not possible to normalize the VM-Series license. A detailed explanation is requested.

Although it is a sensitive part, I would like to know the VM-Series license issuance process, authentication process, and operation method. What I know is not enough to explain customer inquiries. Can you help me?

1 REPLY 1

L5 Sessionator

CPUID and UUID are identifiers that prevent customers from deploying as many boxes as they want without paying.

UUID is based on the physical computer's identifier and the path to the virtual machine's configuration file. (Config file paths will differ per backup)

CPU identification (CPU ID) masks control the CPU features visible to the virtual machine's guest operating system. (Usually the same, although if a public cloud provider moves your infra to multiple places, CPUID may change)

In general, it is possible to have the same CPUID but not UUID. PANW doesn't support native snapshots, you need to export the config or do it through Panorama.

Help the community! Add tags and mark solutions please.
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!