Checking Global Protect Client Status via Command Line

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Checking Global Protect Client Status via Command Line

L1 Bithead

We have had a heck of a time getting Global Protect 4.0.2 deployed in our environment.  One of the things I am coming across is that the install goes fine, at least accoring to the exit code on msiexec and in looking thoguht the log created by msiexec.  However, the pangps service does not always get created.  Granted, the number of macine affected by this problem is smallish.  I would say 3-6%.   Now I can check for the existance of the service and manually create it and that fixes most of the machines, but now I am trying to circle back around for all the machines to determine if the global protect client is working ok.  On many machines I can check to see if the PanGP interface has an IP address in the range we assigned, but other machines "live" at a location where the site has a connections, either via MPLS or DMVPN to the main office, so Global Protect is considered to be on its home network.   I am looking for a way that will allow me to detect if GP is running correctly whether it is on a home network or not.  A string in a log, a registry key, a command line that will give me an exit code, etc. something I can deploy that will allow me to see if the client is in "home", active or disabled mode from a command prompt.  Powershell is also an option.    Ideas? 

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Probably not the simple solution you are looking for, but in the local log files that GP client is writing to the folder where it was installed you should find the information you want

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

L4 Transporter

Hey @BeejCyr

To allow users to connect to GP even when they are at "home" site, make use of 'Internal Gateways'.

Regards,

Anurag

================================================================
ACE 7.0, 8.0, PCNSE 7

Thanks for the resources, but it is not quite what I am going for.  I am looking for a way to determine the status of the Global Protect agent from the command line.  My script will not be able to "see" the icon, and the script may be running while all users are logged out and the client will be connected in a prelogin state.  Another couple of facts that may figure in to the solution:

1. We are using SSO.
  2. I have no access to the gateway.  My area of responsibility is client deployment.

@ansharma wrote:

Hey @BeejCyr

To allow users to connect to GP even when they are at "hom" site, make use of 'Internal Gateways'.

Here's some information to get you started:

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/60/globalprotect/global_protect_6-0/globalprotect-qui...

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/80/pan-os/newfeaturesguide/globalprotect-features/int...

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/70/globalprotect/globalprotect-admin-guide/set-up-the...

HTH.

Regards,

Anurag

FYI, I get a 404 on all three links you supplied.

That's odd.

I guess I'll remove the links since they wouldn't help in your requirement.
================================================================
ACE 7.0, 8.0, PCNSE 7

L3 Networker

Hi Mate, 

Not sure if this ticks the box. But from the cli ye can see the current users logged in for th eglobal protect and the gateways they are logged on to. Can add to the cli command to just check for internal or external gateways if needed. 

admin@NextGen-01> show global-protect-gateway current-user gateway
TAC-LAB-GW TAC-LAB-GW
internalGW internalGW
tacgwExt tacgwExt
<value> Show for given GlobalProtect gateway

admin@NextGen-01> show global-protect-gateway current-user gateway

Doesn't scale well I guess with 100's or 1000s. 

From the web ui you can also see the current users logged in, 

networks>global protect > gateways -> far right , current users.. 

screenshot below from lab set up showing external user on the ext gateway and a local guy on the internal gateway. 

globalProtectUsers.PNG

best regards, 

Rob 

Rob,

Yeah, if I could get access to the gateway it would be easier, but alas I cannot.

With the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client we are replacing, I can do something like vpncli /status and it would product some test I could search through.   I was really hoping GlobalProtect did something similar.

Probably not the simple solution you are looking for, but in the local log files that GP client is writing to the folder where it was installed you should find the information you want

• 1 accepted solution
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!