Concern Regarding Inclusion of Open-Source Projects in "Shareware and Freeware" Category in Advanced URL Filtering

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Concern Regarding Inclusion of Open-Source Projects in "Shareware and Freeware" Category in Advanced URL Filtering

L0 Member

Hello Palo Alto Community,

I am writing to raise a concern regarding the categorization of websites under Palo Alto Networks' Advanced URL Filtering. Specifically, I have noticed that sites providing access to open-source projects (such as Github, git-scm.com or sourceforge.net) are included within the "Shareware and Freeware" category. According to the definition provided on the Palo Alto Networks website, this category encompasses:

"Sites that provide access to software, screensavers, icons, wallpapers, utilities, ringtones, themes, or widgets for free or donations. Includes open-source projects."

While I understand the necessity of maintaining robust security measures and categorizing websites to prevent access to potentially harmful content, I am concerned about the implications of including open-source projects in this category. Here are a few key points of concern:

1. Conceptual Difference:

• There is a clear demarcation and conceptual difference between shareware/freeware and open-source software. According to the Open Source Initiative (OSI), open-source software is defined by several key criteria:
      • Free Redistribution: Software can be freely shared and redistributed.
      • Source Code Availability: Source code must be accessible, allowing users to modify and share modifications.
      • Derived Works: Licenses must permit modifications and derived works.
      • Non-discrimination: Licenses cannot discriminate against any person or group.
      Open-source software is typically characterized by its transparent codebase, community-driven development, and rigorous peer-review processes that enhance its security and reliability.
    • This stands in contrast to shareware and freeware, which often include proprietary software distributed for free, sometimes with limitations or bundled adware
    • Including it under the same category as shareware and freeware, which sometimes includes adware or malware, could lead to misconceptions about the safety and reliability of open-source software.
  2. Access Restrictions:

• Many IT organizations heavily rely on open-source software as a foundational part of their infrastructure and development processes. Blocking access to open-source project sites could significantly hinder these organizations by restricting access to critical tools, libraries, and frameworks necessary for development, operations, and innovation. The reliance on open-source software is so prevalent that many systems, from web servers to development tools, are built and maintained using open-source technologies.
  3. Perception and Usage:

• This categorization might inadvertently associate open-source projects with less secure software categories, potentially discouraging their use within organizations that rely on Palo Alto Networks' security solutions.

I am interested in understanding the rationale behind this categorization and whether there are any plans to re-evaluate or refine the categories to better distinguish between different types of non-commercial software. Specifically, I believe that separating open-source projects from shareware and freeware could help avoid unintended consequences and better reflect the nature of these projects.

I would appreciate any insights or updates from the Palo Alto Networks team on this matter. Additionally, I welcome input from other community members who might have encountered similar issues or have suggestions on how to address this concern.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

0 REPLIES 0
  • 0 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!