Custom URL category not matching in security policy

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Custom URL category not matching in security policy

L4 Transporter

On my PA 9.1.0 firewall, Ive created a custom URL category 'Akamai' with a url list comprising *.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com

In my security policy i have a rule allowing any source (trust zone) to reach any destination (untrust zone) via any protocol and any application. The rule specifies 'Akamai' under the Services/URL category. log and allow is set.  Any ideas why my rule is not matching?  I see likely traffic falling through to a later rule.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Community Team Member

Hi @JimMcGrady ,

If you don't decrypt then the firewall can't see the url ... it will be encrypted.

In that case the firewall will rely on the certificate information or the SNI to identify the category.

URL CATEGORIZATION IN SSL AND POLICY LOOKUP WORK-FLOW 

Cheers,

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Community Team Member

Hi @JimMcGrady ,

Can you add some more details ?

Is it SSL traffic ? If so are you decrypting it correctly ? How is the traffic identified by the firewall ?

Cheers,

-Kiwi.

Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

It is https (ssl) traffic. I am not decrypting. However i would have thought the rule would match on URL rather than on content.

This is the procedure i have followed

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClJKCA0

Community Team Member

Hi @JimMcGrady ,

If you don't decrypt then the firewall can't see the url ... it will be encrypted.

In that case the firewall will rely on the certificate information or the SNI to identify the category.

URL CATEGORIZATION IN SSL AND POLICY LOOKUP WORK-FLOW 

Cheers,

-Kiwi.

Cheers,
Kiwi

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!