DHCP server and descriptions for reserved addresses

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

DHCP server and descriptions for reserved addresses

L4 Transporter

Hello

I'm using dhcp server on PAN for few small LAN. I'd would like to have ability to put label for reserved addresses. I beleave that it's usable for most of us but impossible in 5.0.5 PAN.

Did someone asked for such FR?

With regards

Slawek

6 REPLIES 6

L7 Applicator

Hi,

Could you please confirm if you are hitting below mentioned Bug on PAN-OS 5.0.5

47237—When mapping an IP address to a MAC address for DHCP reservation, the  firewall would not normalize the upper case and lower case letters entered for the MAC address format. So, the MAC address aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa and aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:AA were each  regarded as unique MAC addresses. This issue caused errors and misconfiguration when  more than one IP address was reserved for the same MAC address.

Thanks

Subhankar

L4 Transporter

Hi

I was thinking about third column in

2013-07-22_085926.png

I'd like to make a comment for every entry, because ie after few months Im not remember whos this MAC is.

Last time I had a problem wirh DHCP (with mode set to auto) that stoped working. If I set it to disable > commit > set to enable > commit it started working again for few days. I have case opened with support and we are woring on it.

Regards

Slawek

Hi

I have another thing related to DHCP server.

Why "duration" and "lease time" column is empty for reserwerd IPs? this IPs gets IP from this DHCP server. It's a bit confising me.

admin@PA-200> show dhcp server lease ethernet1/4.110

interface: "ethernet1/4.110"

ip              mac                state      duration    lease_time

192.168.110.121 00:1c:27:00:d0:2a  reserved

192.168.110.122 00:1c:27:01:45:a3  reserved

192.168.110.123 00:1c:27:01:45:80  reserved

192.168.110.124 00:1c:27:01:45:a0  reserved

192.168.110.125 00:1c:27:01:45:86  reserved

192.168.110.126 00:1c:27:02:41:8e  reserved

Hi,

Sorry, i could not understand the issue at first point. Now I have checked few of our PAN-OS versions ( including the latest one)  and could not find the option to add a label for "reserved address".

Thanks

Subhankar

Hi,

If you reserve an IP address for a particular MAC address, it means as long as the host ( MAC you have reserved)  is active in the network, the PA firewall will always assign the same IP address to that host ( static binding). So, the last 2 column ( duration and lease time)  will be invalid in this case. That is the reason, in case of static binding, PA firewall is not showing duration and lease time info here.

Thanks

Subhankar

L4 Transporter

>Now I have checked few of our PAN-OS versions ( including the latest one)  and could not find the option to add a label for "reserved address".

I know there isnt such option. I would request for it as a feature requests. I put this topic because I beleave that probably someone requested it already.

>Now I have checked few of our PAN-OS versions ( including the latest one)  and could not find the option to add a label for "reserved address".

In my opinion even it's a static one - information when last time this IP was renewed is important information (when last time device requested IP).

Regards

Slawek

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!