Disabling BYOD VPN when not conncected.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Disabling BYOD VPN when not conncected.

L0 Member

For security of my personal device, I'd like to verify how to fully disable the BYOD VPN software when I'm not connecting.

Also, I'd like to verify how can I be sure I'm running the BYOD version and not some version that has spyware capability?

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@slytherin23,

You need to speak with your firewall administrators or someone from your IT staff that can actually tell you how the GlobalProtect agent you have downloaded is actually configured. 

Problem is, I don't trust them.  I would like to get access to that myself to verify.

Is the best way to uninstall after every use, and re-install before each use?

There is one GlobalProtect version not with/without spyware 🙂

If it is connected then it either routes whole traffic through corporate firewall (safer because of added threat prevention that can be done in firewall) or you can connect to internet directly and only traffic towards corporate resources are sent into vpn tunnel.

You can verify if your internet traffic goes out directly or through corporate firewall if you go to https://www.whatismyip.com/ from device that has GlobalProtect and from your phone and verify that it shows same IP address.

Be sure that your computer and phone are both in same wifi and phone connection would not go out through mobile internet.

Do you see GlobalProtect icon bottom right next ot other icons?

Can you right click on it and manually disconnect/disable?

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!