FTP connections jumping rule

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

FTP connections jumping rule

L4 Transporter

Hi,

we have 2 rules. the first one filtering by application FTP 

and the second one with the same source/destination like the rule above and using any/any permit.

We run ftp connections. all these FTP connections should match in the first rule filtering by FTP, but we see matches in the any/any rule too. 

In this rule should be match all the ftp connections (filter by FTP app, services any):

Captura1.JPG

but we see connections in this rule too (any/any)

Capturasegunda.JPG

Why all the connections FTP not using the same rule (first one)???

12 REPLIES 12

L3 Networker

Hi,

Can you run the PCAP on the PA? Use filters to specify a particular host /IP and post the result.

Cheers,

If during session application changes then unless you log at session start you see in log only last application identified.

For troubleshooting period can you open both of those policies and on the last tab (Actions) check both boxes "log at session start" and "log at session end"

Do you see only FTP in application field or Palo identifies it something else in the mean time?

After application shift rules are evaluated again and top rule should match again so strange issu but worth to try.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

The app is FTP, but i dont know why the second rule is matching if all the connections should go through first rule...

Can you take a screensot of the 2 FTP rules so we can see them please.  Thanks.

Any chance you're running into an issue with the FTP rule not catching FTPs?

I attach both rules. Connections shoyuld only go through first rule, but we see FTP tries in the last one. Why? 

REGLAS FTP.jpg

From the rule screenshot, FTP should match 1st rule and not the 2nd rule as you pointed out.

Did you happen to add/modify the FTP rules during the time period in question?  If so, it may be that the FTP session matched 1 rule and a rule change occurred afterward which would not take effect on the existing FTP session.

If you're still seeing this behavior where FTP is matching rule2, I recommend opening a Support cast to have it diagnose.  Thanks.

I checked the NAT rule for this FTP server and its weird this NAT rule.

NAT.jpg

It should be a static NAT??? currently its configured with dynamic ip and port... maybe this can caused problems?? The connections take different source ip nat to go to internet.....

Maybe this could cause the problem?? i think for this FTP use we should use a static ftp ...

Is 195.5 address object?

No, its the IP iwth no object created. I think NAT is not well created.

Hiya,

Kindly could you provide screenshots of the FTP sessions that hitting a correct policy and "any" "any" policy.

Example below:

example.png

Can you also send screenshot of the session from session table.

Monitor > Session table

Click on the + sign to expand the view.

Session table view includes NAT policy used but traffic log screenshot does not.

• 12 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!