Help setting up internet connection

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Help setting up internet connection

L0 Member

Hi there

We're in the process of cutting over to a new internet connection and I'm trying to get our PA 2050 configured to handle to new IP range but I'm a bit stuck. We've been assigned the 111.69.54.112/28 subnet with 111.69.54.113 being the default gateway.

Currently I've set the external interface to 111.69.54.112/28 and configured a virtual router with a static route for 0.0.0.0/0 to 111.69.54.113. Finally I've set an outbound NAT rule of Dynamic IP and Port, address type is Interface Address, interface is ethernet 1/2 (the external interface) and the IP address is 111.69.54.112/28 but no joy.

I'm basing this config on our existing working config but that one has the default gateway outside the subnet assigned to us. That subnet is 203.167.208.174/30 and the default gateway is 203.167.203.173.

Any suggestions on where I've gone wrong?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

The portions of your configuration that you have posted appear to be correct. You can check the traffic logs to see if the traffic is being translated. From there, you may want to open a case with support.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

L5 Sessionator

Do you see the arp entry for the new def gateway.

>show arp all

Yes, first entry in the arp table

interface     ip address  hw address    port     status   ttl 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ethernet1/2   111.69.54.113   a8:d0:e5:05:2a:41 ethernet1/21142

Can you ping .113 from .112 (you might want to enable management profile for testing).

I can reach 111.69.54.113 from my side.

No can't ping it but in saying that, can't ping the upstream router from the existing external interface and that still works anyway. The management profile is set to allow ping.

Can we try sending out garps on that interface to confirm the correct hw address

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-2878

There is no deny all policy right?

test arp gratuitous ip 111.69.54.112/28 interface ethernet1/2

1 ARPs were sent

Still no internet access. I do have a deny all rule at the bottom of my security rules. Checking the network monitor from my test IP,  I can see my traceroute and internet activity being allowed by my Layer 3 External rule.

Any interface errors

show interface ethernet1/2

have you tried changing the cable.

If all of the above does not work please open a support case with us.

Not applicable

Make sure that the interfaces you are sending traffic to and from are both part of the same virtual router. If they are using seperate virtual routers you will need to set up routing between them.

Actually it appears I misunderstood what our ISP set up for us. I received this email from them.

You have been allocated a new subnet 111.69.54.112/28. We have configured 111.69.54.113 in our core. The rest of the addresses .114 to .126 are available for you to use on your firewall for interface addressing, NAT etc. You will need to change the ip address on the outside of your firewall to one of these available addresses and change your default route to point to next hop 111.69.54.113.

So my question is then, how do I got about setting up my external interface to have the IP addresses from .114 to .126 and what would my outbound NAT rule look like?

Here's some of my current non-functional config

interfaces.jpg

router.jpg

nat.jpg

The portions of your configuration that you have posted appear to be correct. You can check the traffic logs to see if the traffic is being translated. From there, you may want to open a case with support.

Please change the Interface IP for Ethernet 1/2  from 111.69.54.114/32 to 111.69.54.114/28  and choose this IP in your Outbound NAT config.

Thanks, turns out I had made a mistake in my test machine's set up. Frustrating when the router config was right all along.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 12 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!