How do I reset the unit to factory default via mgt and console port?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How do I reset the unit to factory default via mgt and console port?

Not applicable

May I know where is the document that refer to this? Can I even ping the mgt ip via trusted port? Thanks all!!

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Not applicable

To factory reset the device, you will need to use cli:

1. repower device, monitor the boot sequence for the following message:
"Autoboot to default partition in 3 seconds.
2. Select m to boot to maintenance partition
3. From the maint partition select 'factory reset".
4. At this point you will be prompted for a password, enter "MA1NT"
6. You must allow the device to complete the boot sequence

(Note: Once you do that, the default username / password will be: admin / admin)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Not applicable

To factory reset the device, you will need to use cli:

1. repower device, monitor the boot sequence for the following message:
"Autoboot to default partition in 3 seconds.
2. Select m to boot to maintenance partition
3. From the maint partition select 'factory reset".
4. At this point you will be prompted for a password, enter "MA1NT"
6. You must allow the device to complete the boot sequence

(Note: Once you do that, the default username / password will be: admin / admin)

Eugene,

Thanks for the response... the related document on resetting the device to factory config is here:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-1337

Please note that if you are trying this on PANOS 4 you need to type maint for step 2 instead of m.

right, for PANOS 4 type the complete word "maint" and I suggest to reboot the device after the factory rest boot, oftet whit my PA-500 the first time the GUI interface is not responding, only a second reboot resolve the issue.

default mgm ip 192.168.1.1/24 (no dhcp server) admin:admin

the reboot after a factory default reset will typically take longer than other reboots.

I usually do a factory reset just before lunch time so that when I get back from lunch the boot process has had time to complete.

-Benjamin

Hi!! I did it in a PA-2050, the same issue, at second reload the GUI work. Smiley Happy

Dear support,

I followed all steps and pressed the space bar to stop the PA-220 from loading so I can enter the Maint screen but still going to main loging which we do not have.  My old company lost the contract and the new company which they kept me as IT manager left with one firewall that I am trying to use again.  The S/N: 012801013483

I am using putty to connect through the console port but no luck so far.

Is there any other ways to do that please?

• 1 accepted solution
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!