ICMP Timestamps

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

ICMP Timestamps

L2 Linker

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me if there is a way to stop my PA from responding to ICMP type 13 and 14 timestamp requests/replies?

Cheers

8 REPLIES 8

L5 Sessionator

Hello

You can create custom signature based on icmp type.

Please refer to the following KB

Security Policy to Allow/Deny a Certain ICMP Type

Regards,

Excellent

That's perfect for a policy level but what about at Management Profile level for the interfaces.

I believe there is no way to configure disabling ICMP type 13 and 14.

How about configuring security policy which applies to 'from Trust to Trust' if you want to block it on Trust I/F?

I'm not sure it works or not, just guessing.

Hello Tezza,

I hope, management profile will only allow Echo request (ICMP type 😎 and reply (ICMP type 0), if you enable ping on it. Also, as emr suggested, you may create a profile for intra zone traffic.

Thanks

Did you ever find a solution for this?

it is five years later and the interfaces are still answering these oddball ICMP requests (which can be useful to hackers).

We have PING on the interface profile and it is answering these all day long.

Royal

Please see below article as per this you can block ICMP type 13 and 14.

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClFZCA0

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Trying block them passing through the firewall is easy enough.

I'm trying to stop the firewall from answering them.

Will a policy affect traffic that is directed at the Interface IP of the firewall? Normally that is affected only by Management Profile.  I don't write policy rules to allow the firewall to receive & send SSH, SNMP, syslogs, pings, etc.

• 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!