Issue with NAT over Site-2-Site VPN

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Issue with NAT over Site-2-Site VPN

L1 Bithead

Hi there,

I am reasonably good with Palo Alto Firewall however struggling with the NAT over VPN. I am trying to hide some internal IPs behind 9.9.0.1/32 and 9.9.0.1/32 is configured in Proxy ID as Local host. VPN phase 3 comes up but i think the way i am doing NAT is wrong.

NAT policy is created is as follows

Source Zone             Destination Zone           Sourec Address           Destination Address                 Destination Translation

VPN                       T rust                                10.1.0.1                            9.9.0.1                             Internal Host 10.129.34.9

When i check on CLI it tells me that request for 9.9.0.1 will be translated to 10.129.34.9

PA-1(active)> test nat-policy-match source 10.1.0.1 destination 9.9.0.1 protocol 70

Destination-NAT: Rule matched: Total_VPN_NAT-1
9.9.0.1:0 => 10.129.34.9:0

I dont see request coming when i monitor the traffic. However when i packet capture i do see ping request coming but it dies off becuase of no return response.

Can someone help or suggest what could be wrong please?

Many Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

L6 Presenter

Ping comes through and is translated correctly? In that case check the routing for response maybe?

No i wudn't say ping comes thru because i dont see anything in monitor tab however when i capture the packet using packet capture tool i do see ping coming but my firewall isn't responding. 

Routing is not a problem because other Proxy IDs are working fine. It only this specific IP which i am trying to NAT is having problem. 

Capture1.JPG

This packet isn't translated, it has original destination 9.9.0.1. Seems your NAT isn't working.

Thats what i think as well however when i check the CLI is does say 9.9.0.1 will be translated to 10.129.34.9.

PA-1(active)> test nat-policy-match source 10.1.0.1 destination 9.9.0.1 protocol 70

Destination-NAT: Rule matched: Total_VPN_NAT-1
9.9.0.1:0 => 10.129.34.9:0

Capture2.JPG

Is there any way to check why my NAT rule isnt working please?

Is 9.9.0.1 in trust zone? If it isn't, NAT won't hit.

Hi nvirmani,

When you run a test nat policy command, try putting in the 'to' & 'from' fields to include the zones, as your NAT rule is done with zones. Personally I always make the test commands as accurate as possible for the best results.

Ben

L1 Bithead

Hello

I'm having a very similar issue with trying to configure a NAT translation from VPN to Trusted zone. In my case I'm building a VPN tunnel for monitoring using /32 ProxyIDs. My configuration VPN ProxyID is like the example below:

Remote:                       Local:

3.3.3.3/32                   172.25.40.3/32

My NAT is configured as follows.

Source Zone:                  Dest Zone:                  Source Address:         Dest Address:                Destination Trans:

VPN                                Trusted                         3.3.3.3/32                  172.25.40.3/32              10.100.10.10/32

I can't get the translation to happen when send pings from the VPN and that's what I need working.

If I switch from a Dest translation to Source translation it works when I ping from Trust to VPN.

Source Zone:            Dest Zone:                   Source Address:            Dest Address:             Source Trans:

Trusted                      VPN                              10.100.10.10/32          3.3.3.3/32                   172.25.40.3/32

What am I missing? Do I need to add a static route for the V-Router? To get to 172.25.40.0/32 use tunnl.x?

Please advise. Thanks.

Ben

• 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!