Layer3 forwarding

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Layer3 forwarding

L6 Presenter

Hi all,

Even I do not choose this function I can use layer2 vlan interface's as layer3.I could not understand what does "layer3 forwarding" function really do .Can someone explain this ?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

L6 Presenter

any update for that ?

You mean that even if you disable l3-forwarding for a specific vlan-interface it can still route traffic?

That is the output from "show vlan all" says "disabled" regarding layer3 forwarding?

To me disabling "l3-forwarding" is the same as running "no ip routing" in a cisco l3-switch.

That is you can still ping this vlan-interface (if it has a mgmt-profile that allows ping attached to it) but if you send a packet to it with a dstip which isnt the ip of this vlaninterface then the packet should be dropped.

vlan.pngvlan22.png

All routing is working fine between vlans and other layer3 interfaces.

Sounds like you should contact the tech support... and then update this thread with the result.

To me disabling l3-forwarding for a particular vlan-interface, no matter if this vlan-interface has an ip address attached to it or not, should mean that this vlan-interface wont forward packets to other vlan-interfaces and it should not accept packets from other vlan-interfaces aswell. However it should still forward packets to/from physical interfaces which are part of this vlan.

In your case ethernet1/1 should be able to forward packets to/from ethernet1/10 since both are part of vlan.10 but ethernet1/1 should not be able to forward packets to/from ethernet1/7 since that interface is part of vlan.2 which is different vlan.

L4 Transporter

VLAN interface is used as a gateway for routing purpose

you create a vlan object with 2 or more interface layer2, at this broadcast domain you can bind a Vlan Interface with Layer 3 forwarding enable. that allow the machine device connecting on any port of the vlan object to used the VLAN interface ipaddress affected as the default gateway.

the vlan interface is bind to a VR that allow the routing and forward.

so what happens when we do not enable forwarding ?

what is the thing that we cannot do ?

so what happens when we do not enable forwarding ?

simple no forwarding,

you can create all the object VLan object and vlan interface and bind it to gather. And enable the forwarding when you need it.

regards

yes but it's disable for all vlan's as you can see top

and we can do everything.vlan's can reach each other and access everywhere.

So did you contact the tech-support yet and what was their reply?

yes contact the tech support and give us the return

yes I did.still open.

• 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!