Multiple Global Protect gateways on same firewall

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Multiple Global Protect gateways on same firewall

L2 Linker

I have a PA-3020 that will have two ISP connections. Primary ISP interface will be used for the Global Protect Portal and Primary Gateway using tunnel.1. Is it possible to have a second gateway using tunnel.2 on the same firewall using the secondary ISP interface? 

Also, if the Portal is only on the primary ISP interface and that connection is down making the Portal unreachable, will the GP Client still connect to the secondary Gateway?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Yes you can have multiple gateways.

Just run it on interface of diferent isp connection.

Clients should cache gateway information they get from portal so even if portal is down they try to connect to gateways they have in their cache.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Yes you can have multiple gateways.

Just run it on interface of diferent isp connection.

Clients should cache gateway information they get from portal so even if portal is down they try to connect to gateways they have in their cache.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

I know I have used the following to help me out in the past. It should be possible, but its gonna task some whiteboarding to making it work properly.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Configuration-Articles/How-to-Configure-a-Palo-Alto-Networks-Fi...

Hope this helps...

I was going to use PBF rules to manage the traffic. Would it be better to have two VRs to handle each ISP routing table?

You can use just one, especially if you are using dynamic routing such as OSPF (I have had issues with this in the past without using physical interfaces. There are documents out there that show how to do this with one VR.

I ended up using two virtual routers and it was fine. The ISPs are set up as active/passive so the second gateway is used when the primary gateway is down.

but how do you reach the internal if on the interface like lan you can only connect one VR? how do you route the traffic 

same problem here... how do you route the traffic to the internal lan?
thank you

You have to add the routes of course from one VR to the other, using inter VR routes.

I have it working: even when ISP1 is up, I can connect to both gateways (ISP1 in VR1, ISP2 in VR2) and I can always reach my LAN 192.168.1.0/24

LAN resides in VR1

In VR1 I route the pool of Globalprotect gateway-ISP2 to VR2

In VR2 I route 192.168.1.0/24 to VR1

Just to let everyone know that a Blog has been written about this subject here:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/blogs/multiple-globalprotect-portals-and-gateways/ba-p/360452

Please be sure to check it out.

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Joe
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

I know this post is fairly old, but thank you for this!!  This was such a simple yet brilliant solution to overcome Palo Alto's terrible failure to track which interface a packet came in and should exit out of.  This is also the only solution I was able to find that you can concurrently use both gateways on the same firewall over each ISP.  Even better, this doesn't require loopback interfaces, NAT'ing, PBF rules, or even any sort of manual intervention when a failure occurs.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 10 replies
  • 2 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!