Multiple virtual routers - static route

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple virtual routers - static route

L2 Linker

Silly question but if you have multiple virtual routers in which virtual router should a static route be defined ? I guess it would be the VR associated with packets source adapter/associated zone ?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

I understand now. Thank you. I know it's stupid but I sometimes need to remember that PA VR are just same as normal routers !

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L4 Transporter

Hi there,

A static route should be put in any VR which the traffic stream will transit and the destination prefix is not readily available in the routing table as either a dynamic or connected entry.

cheers,

Seb.

cheers,

Seb.

So if I have an 'internal' VR  and 'external' VR if the packet is coming from 'internal' adapter/zone direction and destination is on 'external' adapter/zone side I could put the static route in either VR ?   

If the traffic flow is bi-directional, as neither VR will have a route to the destination prefix you will need a static route in both VRs.

Why not run a routing protocol between the VRs to reduce this overhead?

I understand now. Thank you. I know it's stupid but I sometimes need to remember that PA VR are just same as normal routers !

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!