not-resolved URL catagories

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

not-resolved URL catagories

L3 Networker

Hello all,

Last week I did the upgrade on my PA 2020 box from 4.18 to the latest 5.0.1 version. Today is the first day that most of the staff are back in and I have noticed that a lot of people are requesting websites to be unblocked. Having looked at the logs these URL's that are being blocked are showing as URL category not-resolved. This is causing us a bit of a headache as the web rules are based on category, but without going and requesting catagory changes on all these URL's or manually going and adding them to the allow URL list is there anything else I can do?

Is this something anybody else has noticed or is it just me?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi JR,

The "not-resolved" category means that your data plane has not received an answer from the management plane/BrightCloud server in the set timeout period (default of 5 seconds).  This could either mean that the BrightCloud servers are down, an issue with your network connection (for connecting to the BrightCloud servers), or something else between the data plane and management plane.  Since this was working for you before, I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with your network connection.  BrightCloud has not reported any server outages in the last few days, so I suspect that there may be something else going on with your device.  If you haven't already, please open a ticket with Support so that we can further troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Doris

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

L5 Sessionator

Hi J R,

Check if you have dynamic URL filtering enabled under the URL filtering profile

URL.JPG

If not try enabling that. Here are details on that Dynamic URL filtering

Select to enable dynamic URL categorization.

URL categorization takes advantage of a URL filtering database on the firewall that lists the most p...

Here is another doc that might further clarify things

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-3685

In addition to enabling the Dynamic URL filtering and committing.

Do the following from the CLI

> configure

# set deviceconfig setting url dynamic-url yes

> clear url-cache all

> delete dynamic-url host all

Hopefully this helps.

Thank you

Numan

Hi Mbutt,

Thanks for that info. I already have Dynamic Filtering enabled, but I will try do the CLI commands you suggested.

I have also logged a call with my support and they have had the same issue off of the URL's we have had this issue with.

JR,

Just a quick check - has your URL filtering license expired?

--Doris

Hi Doris,

No, the license is good until end of Sept 2013

I tried the CLI commands (the exact same ones my support ppl suggested) but no joy. Seem to be getting quite a few websites that are getting this not-resolved category.

Am I really the only person who is noticing this? Or does everyone else use some other way of doing security rules for allow/block lists other then URL categories?

Hi JR,

The "not-resolved" category means that your data plane has not received an answer from the management plane/BrightCloud server in the set timeout period (default of 5 seconds).  This could either mean that the BrightCloud servers are down, an issue with your network connection (for connecting to the BrightCloud servers), or something else between the data plane and management plane.  Since this was working for you before, I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with your network connection.  BrightCloud has not reported any server outages in the last few days, so I suspect that there may be something else going on with your device.  If you haven't already, please open a ticket with Support so that we can further troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Doris

L4 Transporter

Hello,

Does "not-resolved" status have the same indication within PANDB?

Thanks!

Mike

L5 Sessionator

Hi Mike,

Yes, "not-resolved" means the same thing in both BrightCloud and PAN-DB.  If you see this category come up, it means that there was either an issue connecting to the server (BrightCloud or PAN-DB), or that your MP may have been overloaded at the time and the DP exceeded the default waiting period (5 seconds) for an answer back from the MP.

--Doris

• 1 accepted solution
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!