Old KB nomenclator in new live community portal

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Old KB nomenclator in new live community portal

L2 Linker

Hello,

Would it be possible to restore the old KB nomenclator (DOC-XXXX) as a more visible attribute of the article in this new lithium-based Live Community portal ? I noticed that the old article name is included as a tag for some of KB entries, but not for all.

Thank you for your time,

andreip

P. S. I bet there are [now broken] cross-referencies in messages or even KB articles to old URL.

I noticed that some of the old links to KB articles (https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-XXXX) are correctly redirected to new locations.

P. P. S. An extensive article and a video were published by jdelio on Aug 27th: Live>Live Knowledge Base>Learning Knowledge Base>Articles>How do I use the new Community? Walkthrough. The article covers also the old nomenclator bookmarks and searching. Searching by tag is still tricky (e. g. what will return an advanced search for doc-6 ? Nada!), even though all KB articles I checked do have old doc-xxxx tag.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

Thanks for the mention on the Community walk through.

As far as the old "doc-1234", you are correct, those are gone as we know it.

BUT, this has all been replaced with newer information.  Lets look at a NEW url for an article:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/How-to-Register-and-Activate-AutoFocus/ta-p...

This URL is dramatically Longer than before, but it is much more descriptive than ever before, and it can help if anyone has a shortcut, they can see that this is an articke on how to register and activate AutoFocus. 

Before it was "doc-5555"(example) and you had to click on it to remember what it was.  

Also, the very last 5 digits is the NEW article reference #, like the doc-xxxx numbers.

So, you see that it is 64646, it does not allow you to search on this, but we might add this as a tag soon. 

If you have the new reference #, and did not know the entire URL, you can take any other URL for an article..  and just simply replace the last 5 digits with the NEW #, and it will pull it up.

Example:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/Symantec-Radius-VIP-Two-Factor-Authenticati...

This is an article about Ssymantec Radius.. notice it has "63960" as the reference #?  Just replace that number with 64646, and enter.  Article 64646 shoes up.

I hope this makes some sense.

Please let me know if this helps at all.

Joe Delio

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Joe
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L7 Applicator

Thanks for the mention on the Community walk through.

As far as the old "doc-1234", you are correct, those are gone as we know it.

BUT, this has all been replaced with newer information.  Lets look at a NEW url for an article:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/How-to-Register-and-Activate-AutoFocus/ta-p...

This URL is dramatically Longer than before, but it is much more descriptive than ever before, and it can help if anyone has a shortcut, they can see that this is an articke on how to register and activate AutoFocus. 

Before it was "doc-5555"(example) and you had to click on it to remember what it was.  

Also, the very last 5 digits is the NEW article reference #, like the doc-xxxx numbers.

So, you see that it is 64646, it does not allow you to search on this, but we might add this as a tag soon. 

If you have the new reference #, and did not know the entire URL, you can take any other URL for an article..  and just simply replace the last 5 digits with the NEW #, and it will pull it up.

Example:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/Symantec-Radius-VIP-Two-Factor-Authenticati...

This is an article about Ssymantec Radius.. notice it has "63960" as the reference #?  Just replace that number with 64646, and enter.  Article 64646 shoes up.

I hope this makes some sense.

Please let me know if this helps at all.

Joe Delio

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Joe
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Hello and thank you for the follow up.

Although there is a great fuss about searching using natural language, we, as network technes, are more accustomed to digits (I wouldn't mind if the KB would use a  s e a r c h a b l e -please excuse my French, "actionable"- tag system for indexing in hex), not to mention bad habits of recalling 5+-2 digits (Psychology 101) of a KBxxxxx or SKyyyyyy instead of guessing how others might describe an issue or feature.

Now, that we have a working search/sort-by-tag and even l a b e l s (random sample screenshot below, with search keywords in bold). I think it's time to move forward. Pantopia served its purpose.

lithium.png

Since I tried to reply to Mr. Delio's reply and not to original post, I ended with duplicate posts - surprise, one cannot delete his/hers own posts (maybe the workaround of Reporting the post as inapropriate content would apply ...).  

So, dear viewers, please vote for adding to post entries menu the option to delete the post.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 8 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!