PA-500 and Jumbo Frames

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA-500 and Jumbo Frames

L0 Member

Background:

I've been doing some testing with a pair of A/A PA-500's and decided to enable jumbo frames on a file server. I understand that the PA-500 does not support jumbo frames but when I begin a file transfer, it works, running at about 5,017 Kbps. After a little while the frame size reaches 4464-bytes and my speed increases to 392,644 Kbps, way above the Threat prevention throughput of the firewall, listed as 100 Mbps (~102,400 Kbps). When this happened my CPU usage goes from 99% to about 66%, so something is still being processed. The Session Browser still shows all traffic being matched through my test rule called "Allow All". This rule has Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Vulnerability Protection, and URL filtering turned on.

Questions:

- Is there any documentation about Jumbo Frame for the PA-500, I haven't been able to find an explanation that accounts for my test scenario?

- What happens when the PA-500 encounters a frame size over 1500 MTU, does is just pass it through without inspection (hence the speed increase)?

- When the Session Browser says that the "Allow All" rule is being matched, does that mean the Jumbo Frames are being processed, if not, why is there a rule match, if yes, how is it possible to get such speed and low CPU usage?

- Should I force the firewall to drop Jumbo Frames if they are encountered, to ensure security (if they are not processed), if so, how?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you,

Alain

3 REPLIES 3

L7 Applicator

Hi Alain,

Please find below mentioned discussion, hope it will help you for the 1st Qn.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-2208#comment-4467

Thanks

subhankar

L7 Applicator

Hi,

What happens when the PA-500 encounters a frame size over 1500 MTU, does is just pass it through without inspection (hence the speed increase)?

Ans:- No, it should  fragment the packet into a smaller size as per the MTU of  that link.

Thanks

Subhankar

Thank you, I did see that doc, but it only helps me understand that the PA-500 does not support Jumbo Frames. With that in mind, I'm trying to figure out what exactly happens when it does encounter one.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!