PA blocking windows updates?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA blocking windows updates?

L1 Bithead

Howdy,

Trying to figure this out. It almost seems that our pa220 is blocking windows updates. See my first pic, does session end reason threat mean it stopped the connection? I ask because I cannot get this update to download on any windows 10 pc in my environment see pic 2, it starts to download and stops at 2% then errors out. . Yet it will download at my house. 

BUT all other MS updates download fine to pc's and my wsus is getting updates just fine. So I'm trying to figure out is this the PA blocking or is it an issue with the update? 

Thanks for any input. 

fw1.JPG

fw2.JPG

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

When viewing logs, click the page/magnifying icon in the far left column. This will show you exactly what happens. Depending on how you have the threats configured, it could have been identified and no action taken. The maginifying glass will show a lot more detail on what happened. Also check the Log Subtype column, it will also tell you what happened, i.e. end, url, deny, drop, etc.

OtakarKlier_0-1629483713632.png

Regards,

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Another thing with MS updates is that they use Akamai. This means that things gets bounced around frequently and the PAN URL/threat cannot keep up with a lot of the ways it does things. You can always try and download the patch manually, https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx .

Regards,

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@mattscratt,

Do you have any file blocking profiles applied to the security rule allowing this traffic? By default, that also blocks the files MS updates are trying to download if applied. 

L1 Bithead

have this set up. 

fw3.JPG

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!