PAN-DB API for URL Re-categorization

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PAN-DB API for URL Re-categorization

L1 Bithead

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I could only find some posts from 2014.

Is there an API for PAN-DB that allows for automated submissions for URL re-categorization?

Thanks in advance!

- C
6 REPLIES 6

L5 Sessionator

Hi,

How do you want to perform "automated submissions" ? on which criteria ??

You can find python script on github (https://github.com/stealthllama/pandb-query/blob/master/pandb-query.py).

Maybe you can make some changes on it for re-categorization ..

Rgds

V.

L5 Sessionator

Thanks Vince,

I did see some posts about how to do bulk lookups via the NGFW (thank you for the link to the python script). However, it's not bulk category lookups I'm interested in but rather a programmatic way to submit URLs to Palo Alto for re-categorization for the full benefit of any customer using PAN-DB. Today, the only way I'm aware of is to submit them manually via https://urlfiltering.paloaltonetworks.com/.

For example, what I had envisioned was a way to submit confirmed phishing URLs to PAN-DB to have the "Phishing" category added.

- C

Thanks Vince,

We do use EDLs and MineMeld today. URL custom categories are another great recommendation to accomplish this. I appreciate the information and was just poking around to see if someone knew of a way to automate URL re-categorization directly to PAN-DB for the benefit of the community as a whole.

- C

L1 Bithead

Not sure if this is a recent addition or if I just missed it previously - but I do see that there is a page for bulk re-categorization requests. This should serve my purpose for now if there is no API available.

https://urlfiltering.paloaltonetworks.com/bulk_cr/

- C

Hello all -- I've downloaded the pandb-query script..but having no success in getting it to work. I have the pan python modules being imported (I believe)  but am not prompted for any argument inputs etc. I'm confused as to whether I should specify the arguments in the script, as it's not prompting...and also if I should be using my api key or user name and password. There's seems to be functions for all. I'm quite a newbie w Python,...does anybody have a scrubbed scripted they have working, or some notes so I can compare? Would really appreciate it. Thanks ....Dennis

I currently get this when running the script in IDLE

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\pan-python-0.16.0\lib\PAN-URLCat-Query.py", line 185, in <module>
main()
File "C:\pan-python-0.16.0\lib\PAN-URLCat-Query.py", line 126, in main
with read_file(sys.stdin) as file:
File "C:\pan-python-0.16.0\lib\PAN-URLCat-Query.py", line 40, in read_file
infilehandle = open(filename, 'r')
TypeError: expected str, bytes or os.PathLike object, not StdInputFile

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!