preemption loop detected

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

preemption loop detected

L3 Networker

Hi,

I have two PAN 500 in HA A/P configuration with PAN OS 6.1.3 and virtual wire configured with link detection failure ANY. I tested link failure detection in way to disconnect one side of Vwire and passive device takes over and became active. After some time approx. less then one minute, non-functional device tries to revert connection, became active, even link was not recovered at all. Then again had HA event and passive became active and so on.  This repeating maybe three times after primary device with failed link went to suspended mode. On that point with recovered link state I can bring it back only with manual command "make this device operational".

I'm not sure whether this is normal behaviour, because I had traffic interruption when device with failed link tries to recover himself. In one moment I saw "preemtion loop detected" in HA log events...

Is there anyone with similar experience...?

1 REPLY 1

L7 Applicator

I think what you are seeing is that "preempt" is set on your primary and the attempts to take back mastership failed bringing the device to the non-operational state.

In general, I would not use preempt at all.  But leave a cluster failed over until you manually determine the failover event is complete and the primary is ready to take traffic again.

But to be positive about what happened here.  I would open a TAC case and upload the tech support logs for review.  They will be able to confirm your exact scenario and determine if there are other configuration changes that would improve your setup

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!