Probably a Stupid Question Tagged Interface

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Probably a Stupid Question Tagged Interface

L2 Linker

This is probably a stupid question, but if I just create another Layer-3 sub-interface off of an existing physically connected interface, and TAG that sub interface, that is all I need to do to bring a tagged trunk in through an existing physical connection right?

Excluding, zones, virtual routers, policies, and all that other stuff, but the connectivity itself.

Say I have ethernet 1/1, which is Layer-3 10.0.0.1/30 and it has no tag or is UNTAGGED (i.e. no 802.1q) and let's say it is in the Inside Zone.

I could re-use that same physical connection ethernet 1/1 right and assign it say...

ethernet 1/1.123 TAG 123 Layer-3 192.168.0.1/30 My_Other_Zone

Doing that will not adversely impact my physical untagged connectivity right?

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

No stupid questions here. You are correct where it should not disrupt the untagged traffic. Check out these articles.

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClFNCA0

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClheCAC

Cheers!

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!