Problems with installing SSL-VPN Client

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Problems with installing SSL-VPN Client

Not applicable

Hi

Has anyone else had any problems with Installing PanInstaller on Windows 7?

I have managed to install it on some machines but sometimes the installation just drops and in the event viewer I get:

EventId 7030

Source Service Control Manager

PanInstaller is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly ...

I have tried to disable the service "Interaction Services Detection" but that does not help.

Could it be that this program is not comaptible with Windows 7?

We have PAN OS 3.1.4

/Erik

12 REPLIES 12

Not applicable

Hi Erik,

I just know v3.1.4 NetConnect supports both 32bit and 64bit Windows 7. Did you try to use a new installed OS on another machine?

Johnny

L4 Transporter

Erik,

Lets go the low hanging fruit method and see if this helps.

1. is your version of Java the current distro?

2. have you tried installing with a differnt browser?

3. Are you installing with other than administrator credentials?

4. Have you attempted a manual install ( when all else fails)?

You can extract the MSI installers by downloading the installer from the firewall. Use your favorite ZIP extractor to open the .jar file and it will allow you to pull the installer files. They will be identified with an according bit level.

Hi,

we have just implemented the VPN solution and it works brilliantly on OSX but Windows 7 we find it will not install...Smiley Sad

It downloads, does all its bits then stops, the Paninstaller.exe service is running, no netconnect or anything.

Rebooted nothing..

so we thought about downloading the VPN app from this site, but when we do we cannot use it as it is not recognised by Windows, we are now trying this on an XP machine, but its very weird that it fails to work on windows 7 (64bit).

So we could really do with finding a way to get the files out of the downloaded file, failing that is there anything else we can try...

Very odd indeed.

Will post XP results in a bit..

thanks in advance...

Darren

To confirm..

Windows XP - Works perfectly

Windows 7 Home Premium - will not install..

any ideas?

Darren

Will try that now...

James,

seems to have fixed it using IE64

Is this by design or a bug?

Darren

Hi Darren,

Good to hear it is working!

I believe it is a tricky situation to run in 32-bit mode on a 64-bit windows machine - unless you are Microsoft themselves.  So it is a limitation working within the boundaries of Microsoft.  On Apple, for example, it is much easier to run in 32-bit mode whilst the OS is on 64-bit.

Anyway - if you got Windows 7.  Why not run everything in 64-bit mode, it is so much more fun Smiley Happy

Thanks

James

I've had some difficulty in this area, as well. Looking at the documents, I don't  belive that 'Disabling Verification' under JAVA-Security-Mixed Code is a very good idea from a security standpoint.  I'd much rather see a native Windows Installer be an option (directly from PA) so that these could be pushed with SMS unattended using a proper level of access.

Hi,

In future release we will revise the SSL VPN agent and you can have msi package for massive deployment more easily.

Stay tuned.

Jones

Hello all,

Martin (our PLM) alerted me about the NetConnect installation issue.

I have just verified with the latest Java that NetConnect should install successfully without disabling the mixed code verification in Java.

You do need to use IE64 bit to install and run NetConnect

or else it will not find the correct installation directory.  Windows will put all the device driver (NetConnect virtual interface) in the wrong directory if you don't use IE64.  Remember that PanService (64 bit) expects the driver to be installed in the correct 64 bit directory too.

You also need both Java 32 bit and 64 bit installed.

If you still have issues installing and running NetConnect in Win7 64 bit, feel free to let me know.

- Siu-Wang Leung

One thing I would like to add in case people do not know.

If you want to extract the native Windows installer from the gateway,

you can do the following:

Use any browser to type the following URL in your browser:

https://<ssl-vpn-gateway-ip>/ssl-vpn/jnlp/PanInstaller_x64.jar

(save the file)

and

https://<ssl-vpn-gateway-ip>/ssl-vpn/jnlp/PanSetup_x64.jar

(save the file)

Use "jar" program (from any JDK installation bin directory)

to extract the content

jar xvf PanInstaller_x64.jar

jar xvf PanSetup_x64.jar

You should get two native MSI packages that you can use to

install without Java/browser.

You do need Java to run the program, but at least the installation

can be done without going through the browser.

Hope this helps

= Siu-Wang Leung

• 12 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!