Re: Upgrade Process Using Panorama

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Re: Upgrade Process Using Panorama

Not applicable

Hi do we need to activate the devices first time from Panorama is that mandatory?

I already activated the devices and now when i try to add auth codes for rest of the devices its not happening and throwing error saying auth code already used.

Can some one help?

Thanks,

Srikanth

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Srikanth,

Panorama only needs to be registered and activated . It does not have licenses.

For activating licensing of the device, it can be done from the device itself or can be done from Panorma under the tab Panorama > Deployment > Licenses.

Does that answer your question?

Regards

Parth

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

L4 Transporter

Hi Srikanth,

You can activate the device from panorama or from the device itself using authorization codes.

But since you are getting the message indicating "auth code already in use", it means that the devices are already activated .

The CSR department for admin and licensing would be able to give you detailed information on this if you contact Support.

Regards

Parth

I already contacted support in this regard and hoping to get a reply from them.

So if i activate on the device and not from Panorama i will not be able to manage them because for managing devices from panorama they need to be activated from Panorama.

This looks to be very confusing , what if an organisation opts for panorama because its more centralised and easy to use . they will not be able to activate the licenses using auth codes since they are already registered earlier Smiley Happy

Is that correct ?

Thanks,

Srikanth

Srikanth,

Panorama only needs to be registered and activated . It does not have licenses.

For activating licensing of the device, it can be done from the device itself or can be done from Panorma under the tab Panorama > Deployment > Licenses.

Does that answer your question?

Regards

Parth

Hi Parth thank you so much for the help .. I was able to activate licenses of all my devices and added them to Panorama.

Now i am trying to do a OS upgrade. I made sure that the OS version running on Panorama is 4.0.12 which i suppose is the latest.

I downloaded 4.0.8 OS for PA 500 devices and trying to push onto my devices.

I am seeing this error message.

Screen Shot 2012-09-27 at 12.13.10 PM.png

I made sure that from all my PA devices my Panorama is reachable because my PA devices and the Panorama server are connected on the same switch. But still i see this error.  What error does it possibly look like ?

Thanks,

Srikanth

Do you see the devices connected from the GUI? You should see the devices as the following:-

connected.png

Regards

Parth

No Parth i dont see them as connected . I have plugged in the Management ports on my PA 500 devices and my Panorama server to the same switch .

What could be the possible issue for not seeing this ? Do i need to use normal ports on the devices other than Management ports?

Srikanth,

You need to configure the firewall with the panorama ip-address. Go to Device > Setup > Panorama Settings. Enter panorama ip-address. Commit the device

Under Panorama, Go to the Panorama > Device Groups add the S/N of the device to the device group.

Go to Panorama > Manage devices and make sure you configure that accordingly. Commit.

Other document to troubleshoot connectivity is the following:-

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-1171

Mark it if you find it useful.

Regards

Parth

Srikanth,

Here is the detailed document to configure and install panorama along with adding a device.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-5057

This will solve your purpose.

Panorama will be connected to the firewall by default using the management interface.

Regards

Parth

As mentioned earlier, please create a NEW thread if there is a more specific question

Regards

Parth

Thanks for the update Parth, Since this is a question related to Panorama i thought this is the best forum to post my question.

I am just trying to do an OS upgrade on my devices.

So do i need to generate a certificate before i try to push on my devices?

Srikanth,

You can create new threads and be the author of the thread. It appears that you are not the author of the thread and so you cannot have full controls. The entire Knowledge point community is for open discussions and help.

By default, the devices will already have a webserver cert installed for secure sign into the gui.

Go to Device > Certificate

If you want to import new certificates or create self sign certs , you would have to do it here.

Regards

Parth

• 1 accepted solution
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!