Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Replace SFP Process

L1 Bithead

Hi we have a PA-850. Port 5 has a RJ45 SFP adapter, internet connection. We are upgrading our Internet connection (bandwidth increase only, no IP changes) and the new handoff from the ISP is single mode fiber, so I purchased a PAN-SFP-PLUS-LR to support the connection. I plan on simply removing the old SFP adapter and inserting the new one. My questions are:

1- Is there any config changes I need to make?

2- Is there a better way to make this change?

2- Will this require a firewall reboot?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Community Team Member

Hi @usanitary ,

What speed did you guys upgrade to? I see you purchased an SFP+ module, but are you going to have 10Gb uplinks? If so, you will need to use ports 9-12 on the 850. Ports 9-12 are SFP/SFP+. At default they should be set to SFP+, you can verify by entering the command: 

show system setting ports-9-12-speedDevice Ports 9-12 mode

Also, the config changes to be mindful of are the interface link settings. Are you hard coded at your previous speed or were you set to auto? I'd double-check to make sure the settings match the speed you intend and be mindful of the interface settings that are configured on the ISP side. 

I'd recommend doing this change during a change-window and prepare for rollback by having the old sfp module and cables ready. No reboot is necessary. 

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Community Team Member

Hi @usanitary ,

What speed did you guys upgrade to? I see you purchased an SFP+ module, but are you going to have 10Gb uplinks? If so, you will need to use ports 9-12 on the 850. Ports 9-12 are SFP/SFP+. At default they should be set to SFP+, you can verify by entering the command: 

show system setting ports-9-12-speedDevice Ports 9-12 mode

Also, the config changes to be mindful of are the interface link settings. Are you hard coded at your previous speed or were you set to auto? I'd double-check to make sure the settings match the speed you intend and be mindful of the interface settings that are configured on the ISP side. 

I'd recommend doing this change during a change-window and prepare for rollback by having the old sfp module and cables ready. No reboot is necessary. 

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

L1 Bithead

Thanks Jay, this is very helpful. We are only going up to 350mbps. And I am not sure if the handoff will be 1gb or 10gb, I will make sure to find out, and move if necessary. And will check the link setting. And definitely I'm doing this in a maintenance window. Thanks again!

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!