Repurposing log collector

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Repurposing log collector

L1 Bithead

I have a M-500 with two disk pairs in dedicated logger mode that I want to turn into a dedicated manager. I know how to actually change the mode, but can I remove both disk pairs and use them in another logger? I assume the M-500 has internal storage for the actual OS but wanted to be sure before actually going through with it. Do I need to do anything special with the disks before putting them into the other panorama, or will it format them as necessary? 

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@John_Rodgers,

There's an SSD for the actual system outside of log storage, however I've never tried to actually run one without any drives installed for storage. I would definitely test this for a bit before doing anything with those log drives to make sure that the M-500 is actually going to run without at least one raid pair present, so I can't say if the M-500 will actually function properly without any drives populated in the drive bays. 

When you go to add the drives into the other panorama device you won't have to do anything special outside of the regular expansion process. The device will take care of all of the formatting and RAID creation during that process. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@John_Rodgers,

There's an SSD for the actual system outside of log storage, however I've never tried to actually run one without any drives installed for storage. I would definitely test this for a bit before doing anything with those log drives to make sure that the M-500 is actually going to run without at least one raid pair present, so I can't say if the M-500 will actually function properly without any drives populated in the drive bays. 

When you go to add the drives into the other panorama device you won't have to do anything special outside of the regular expansion process. The device will take care of all of the formatting and RAID creation during that process. 

l do, thanks for the reply!

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!