Uninstall traps without password

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Uninstall traps without password

L1 Bithead

I need to uninstall traps but I forget the trap uninstall password(that is not default password)
what can I do now?

8 REPLIES 8

L2 Linker

Dear Plawny,

For the Traps 4.2.x, you can try the following step(s)

1. Login to ESM Console

2. Click Settings (from Top Menu) -> Agent (from Left Menu) -> Settings (from Left Menu)

3. Select the Existing Policy Setting for Agent, -> Edit

4. On the Agent Settings -> Agent Security

5. you can see the change Uninstall Password, and enable th

6. After you apply the setting, the client need check in again to update the policy/setting.

Thanks, JC

how can I check my version. my application name is "Traps 6.1.2.21704". is 6.1.2.21704 my version numbwr?

What is the default uninstall password of Traps agent?

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClOxCAK

Default Password: Password1

Cortex XDR - Agent Settings Profile

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/cortex/cortex-xdr/cortex-xdr-prevent-admin/endpoint-security/custo...

> Reference STEP 7 Set an Uninstall Password

Define and confirm a password the user must enter to uninstall the Cortex XDR agent. The uninstall password is encrypted using encryption algorithm (PBKDF2) when transferred between Cortex XDR and Cortex XDR agents. Additionally, the uninstall password is used to protect tampering attempts when using Cytool commands.

The default uninstall password is Password1
A new password must satisfy the following requirements:
  • Contain eight or more characters.
  • Contain English letters, numbers, or any of the following symbols: !()-._`~@#"'.

The problem is I forget the password ;(

You have 3 way to handle your forget password.

1. set the new uninstall password to overwrite existing one via step7 link from last post. ** All Traps/Cortex client will change to new password**

2. recall your Memory what’s is your password, and keep try....

3. reinstall your computer, no need to password, but need backup all data.....

in above 3 way, I think you not consider the 1, and you tried the 2. Now you only have 3 can do.

if you still have support services, you can contact vendor to advise what’s should you do.

Do i need password in 1?

Yes, you need to find the existing agent polices/setting on cortex/esm console, you will see the set uninstall password is enabled, so you can disable on exiting setting or enter the new password. Up to your setting

After apply will effective the setting on next check in.

detail reference the kB from 1 website

Please follow the KB to set uninstall password,

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/cortex/cortex-xdr/cortex-xdr-prevent-admin/endpoint-security/custo...

STEP 7. Define and confirm a password the user must enter to uninstall the Cortex XDR agent. The uninstall password is encrypted using encryption algorithm (PBKDF2) when transferred between Cortex XDR and Cortex XDR agents. Additionally, the uninstall password is used to protect tampering attempts when using Cytool commands.

The default uninstall password is Password1

A new password must satisfy the following requirements:
  • Contain eight or more characters.
  • Contain English letters, numbers, or any of the following symbols: 
    !()-._`~@#"'

• 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!