cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WEBUI Session Timing Out

L1 Bithead

Hello,

On my PA-820 I started getting the idle timeout message below:

"Your login session has expired and you have been logged out for security reasons. Please log in again if you wish to continue."

Normally this was never an issue and I simply logged back in after being idle. Starting about 2 weeks ago I cannot log back into the WEBUI under normal circumstances. I get caught in a session expired loop. This has been replicated on my device with 2 separate accounts, but my co-worker does not have this issue leading me to believe the problem is isolated to my device.

I can access the WEBUI on Incognito mode and the firewall via CLI.

Note: We are required to use MS Edge by corporate policy. Using another browser would certainly work, but not in my context indefinitely.

Relevant KB's I've found:

"Session timed out" when logging on using Web GUI (paloaltonetworks.com)

WEBUI session logs out with message: You have been logged out d... - Knowledge Base - Palo Alto Netw...

Troubleshooting steps (tried logging in after each listed step):

• I tried the typical clear cache/cookies for Microsoft Edge
  • Repaired MS Edge
  • Reinstalled MS Edge
  • Deleted all admin sessions via CLI with >delete admin-sessions
    • This resulted in a successful login then reverted back to the same error.
  • Adjusted the idle timeout to indefinite to see if that would allow me to login since it can never expire (it did not)
  • Rebooted MGMT Plane via CLI with >debug software restart process management-server
  • Rebooted entire NGFW

This isn't a huge issue as I can simply access everything though CLI or incognito... but it's incredibly annoying and I'd like to try and fix it! Has anyone experienced this problem and what was a permanent solution?

Thanks!

-RH747
7 REPLIES 7

L1 Bithead

Quick update:

I started getting the same message in incognito so my workaround was shot. My last resort was upgrading to the next preferred PAN-OS version. It seems to be working well enough. Only time will tell if it happens again. Fingers crossed.

-RH747

L1 Bithead

Second update:

The issue returned shortly after the PAN-OS upgrade. Still searching for a permanent solution.

-RH747

L6 Presenter

@RH747 wrote:

Hello,

On my PA-820 I started getting the idle timeout message below:

"Your login session has expired and you have been logged out for security reasons. Please log in again if you wish to continue."

Normally this was never an issue and I simply logged back in after being idle. Starting about 2 weeks ago I cannot log back into the WEBUI under normal circumstances. I get caught in a session expired loop. This has been replicated on my device with 2 separate accounts, but my co-worker does not have this issue leading me to believe the problem is isolated to my device.

I can access the WEBUI on Incognito mode and via CLI.

Note: We are required to use MS Edge by corporate policy. Using another browser would certainly work, but not in my context.

Relevant KB's I've found:

"Session timed out" when logging on using Web GUI (paloaltonetworks.com)

WEBUI session logs out with message: You have been logged out d... - Knowledge Base - Palo Alto Netw...

Troubleshooting steps (tried logging in after each listed step):

• I tried the typical clear cache/cookies for Microsoft Edge
  • Repaired MS Edge
  • Reinstalled MS Edge
  • Deleted all admin sessions via CLI with >delete admin-sessions
  • Adjusted the idle timeout to indefinite to see if that would allow me to login since it can never expire (it did not)
  • Rebooted MGMT Plane via CLI with >debug software restart process management-server
  • Rebooted entire NGFW

This isn't a huge issue as I can simply access everything though CLI or incognito... but it's incredibly annoying and I'd like to try and fix it! Has anyone experienced this problem and what was a permanent solution?

Thanks!

When you get automatically logged out there's a button for "login again" (I think.) If you click that button are you able to successfully login?

I've experienced what you're describing on 10.1 and 10.2 PAN-OS release, but I use Chrome not Edge as my browser.  When I see this notification I usually just reload the page and I'm able to login w/o issue.

L4 Transporter

Try restarting your PC which Pan Os current running?

@Brandon_Wertz wrote:

When you get automatically logged out there's a button for "login again" (I think.) If you click that button are you able to successfully login?

I've experienced what you're describing on 10.1 and 10.2 PAN-OS release, but I use Chrome not Edge as my browser.  When I see this notification I usually just reload the page and I'm able to login w/o issue.

Unfortunately, I've tried clicking the "Login" button and refreshing to no avail. The issue originated on Edge, but then after using Chrome for a bit it started happening again. Now I'm using Firefox to access the WEBUI and occasionally check Edge/Chrome to see if it magically went away. I will be moving to 10.2 preferred and hoping that it's fixed there. Fixing Edge would be ideal so that I don't have to be an exception to our corporate policy, but whilst Edge does not work, I will be using a different browser for my admin work.

-RH747

@KhaleelE wrote:

Try restarting your PC which Pan Os current running?

Several reboots of both my device and firewall have been tried since this occurrence. PANOS 11.1.2-h3, but I will be moving to 10.2 preferred and hoping that it's fixed there. 11.1 is far too unstable. This issue originated in 10.1.11-h5 however.

-RH747

L0 Member

I am having the exact same issue now on a PA-3220 (11.1.2-h1) and a PA-440 (11.1.2). Happens in both Edge and Chrome. Incognito/private mode does not work either. CLI works fine. I have switched to Firefox for now, but I am not sure if it will stop working soon also. If anyone else has any ideas on how to solve this I would really appreciate it! I have not yet opened a case with PA but I may soon... I'm worried I may lose access with Firefox soon too...

I will try loading 11.1.3-h1 on both PA's this weekend if I cannot find another solution before then.

• 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!