What does the redis-server process do for PAN-OS?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

What does the redis-server process do for PAN-OS?

L2 Linker

I'm documenting new services in PAN-OS present in 10.x.  What does the redis-server process do?  It appears to bind to tcp/6378 and tcp/6380 (if only accessible "internally").  I do not see this service described in the Commonly Used Processes/Daemons url found here: https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000PLUeCAO 

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@jasonroy,

Fairly positive there's a number of databases in play and not just one. I know that it's used to house User-ID with the key being the IP and the value being the username. Fairly positive that's not the only place it's utilized however. 

Also should note that this started showing up in the 9.0 OSS listings. Pretty positive it was in use before that however and the listing is likely due to them changing their licensing around the same time 9.0 was actually released. Redis Labs modified their licensing a number of times around this release. 

L2 Linker

Generic Internet searches found this, but I'd like to hear officially from Palo Alto: https://redis.io/docs/about/ 

Perhaps it was there before as a service in 9.x, but it wasn't binding a port until 10.x. Or perhaps only if something utilizing matching/tracking User-ID to IP (which we're not).

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!