Why does GlobalProtect VPN client for Windows keep getting worse?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Why does GlobalProtect VPN client for Windows keep getting worse?

L0 Member

This client used to be fine.

Then we upgraded it and some silly Windows notifications kept popping up which were annoying and, more importantly, caused the textboxes to lose focus while you are typing a password/key.

Now we're up to v4.0.0-90 and this may be the worst yet.

Someone decided to remove the password field completely!

I'm not sure what was in the mind of the design genius on this one, but our company uses the password field to enter the challenge key when you are traveling internationally and have no cell coverage in the form of:

<password>,<key:6>

This is a great thing to do yet with this new, incredibly awful client, I have to wait for it to realize the credentials from the last time are wrong for it to popup a modal to re-enter it. This way, instead of just clearing the last 6-digits of my key in a visible password field, I have to type it all over again! Arrghh!

Every time PAN upgrades this client, I feel like Charlie Brown attempting to kick the football.

I hope it will be better, but it throws me on my back every time.

Ever do end-user testing?

Or is your motto?: "END user testing!"

4 REPLIES 4

L4 Transporter

Hi Jeff,

From your description, it seems that the client is remembering the user's credentials everytime it connects successfully.

If that's indeed the case, please goto the Network->Portal->Agent->(Agentconfig)->Authentication and choose 'No' for Save user credentials.

This will force only the portal to be remembered and not the username/pwd. The only difference that you'd notice is that earlier you could provide the 3 things (portal, username, password) and then click 'Connect'. Now, you enter the portal, click connect and then provide the credentials and click connect.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Anurag

================================================================
ACE 7.0, 8.0, PCNSE 7

It doesn't seem like you REALLY read my post...carefully. Try. It's not that difficult.

I am not asking HOW to use it. I know how to.

I am trying...in an apparently unsuccessful way...to tell you that I hate your interface.

Having to wait for a dialog to popup or having to ALWAYS re-enter things is not usable to me.

Please show the password field again.

(and maybe username for completeness)

Please.

L0 Member

Jeff,
Did you ever got a solution for the problem "more importantly, caused the textboxes to lose focus while you are typing a password/key."
We are running version 5.1.8-15 and we still have  the "lose Focus" problem with GlobalProtect VPN client
cheeres 
stefan.hellgren

I created an account just to comment this.

I am with you man! I really hate their GUI.

I work with different clients and some of them use GLOBALPROTECT so I have several IPS listed and I have no idea which one is the one I need. Because there is no way to add an alias or some kind of description.

They also use different users OF COURSE and the fact that it remembers the last user and doesn't allow me to change it's really annoying.

The fact that it is not a window and it loses focus when I click anywhere else is really not helpful when I try to make screenshots to any kind of support.

The fact that I cannot store the credentials for each IP is time-wasting.

They need to improve their GUI, I am really hating the product and not recommend it just by the way the GUI is disigned

• 4 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!