AzureAD Group Mapping for GP

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

AzureAD Group Mapping for GP

Hello,

We're currently implementing GlobalProtect with SAML Authentification to AzureAD only (no hybrid) based on groups for easier management.

Example :

Groupe1 is given an IP_Pool1 IP with access to subnet1

Groupe2 is given an IP_Pool2 IP with access to subnet 1 and 2

As of today, we didn't find any way to do it properly and from what we've seen online it may not be supported at all without any third party or on-prem AD.

Did any of you ran into that issue before and did you find the solution?

Thanks.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

@domari Hello,

Yes you understood correctly.

The thing is to be able to use LDAP or LDAP-S to connect to AzureAD you will need to use an intermediate called Azure AD Domain Services which requires a pay-to-use subscription. We want to reduce our cloud ans SaaS subscriptions footprint to a minimum and it would make us go the wrong way tho.

It seems like, as of today, being able to pull out groups mapping directly from AzureAD is not possible.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

L1 Bithead

Hello,

From my understanding, you would like to configure AzureAD group-mappings on the firewall as in you would like for the firewall to pull user groups from AzureAD? 

If that's the case, please bare in mind that the firewall supports LDAP profiles only with group mapping configuration. 

Reference:

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/globalprotect/9-0/globalprotect-admin/authentication/enable-group-...

If I misunderstood the question, please feel free to clarify.

L4 Transporter

This should be possible.

First, enable group mapping using the documentation @domari mentioned.  Make sure you add the included groups to the group mapping profile in distinguished name format (e.g. cn=groupe1,ou=myou,o=mydomain,o=local) in lower case.  I have seen them fail time and time again if you use uppercase letters, or enter them in mydomain\somename format.  Verify that your firewall is seeing the groups, and members using the steps here:  https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClVcCAK

In you have a client IP pool listed under your-GP-gateway > Agent > Client IP pool, then these IPs will apply to all gateway users.  You will need to delete this in order to enable separate pools for different groups.

Under your-GP-gateway > Client Settings, create a config for Groupe1.  Under Source User, add Groupe1 once again using the distinguished name in lowercase (e.g. cn=groupe1,ou=myou,o=mydomain,o=local).  Go to the IP Pools tab, and add your pool for Groupe1 users.  Under Split Tunnel, add the included subnets you want to allow to be accessed over the VPN.  Configure any other settings in the client config you need.  Repeat the process for Groupe2 users.

You will also need Security Policies which will allow access.  You can use the same groups for source users in those policies as well.

@domari Hello,

Yes you understood correctly.

The thing is to be able to use LDAP or LDAP-S to connect to AzureAD you will need to use an intermediate called Azure AD Domain Services which requires a pay-to-use subscription. We want to reduce our cloud ans SaaS subscriptions footprint to a minimum and it would make us go the wrong way tho.

It seems like, as of today, being able to pull out groups mapping directly from AzureAD is not possible.

Please feel free to reach out to your SE for a feature request. Maybe in the future desgin this could be possible. 

Will do - thanks for you input.

Yeah that is what i found as well.  What i ended up doing, on an ASA, is authenticating my users to Azure, but then using secondary authorization to the internal AD user to map the users to specific groups.

How?

Here you go:

tunnel-group NA_Azure_SAML type remote-access
tunnel-group NA_Azure_SAML general-attributes
address-pool VPN_Pool_1
authorization-server-group AAA-VPN-Users
default-group-policy NoAccess
tunnel-group NA_Azure_SAML webvpn-attributes
authentication saml
group-alias VPN-Secured enable
without-csd
saml identity-provider https://sts.windows.net/numbers......./

!

So the process is it authenticates to Azure SAML, but authorization is AAA-VPN-Users (which is AD).  it looks for a security group tied to the end user and then maps that security group to a policy group on the ASA.  This took awhile for me to figure out and get working.  But saved me a lot of work in the long run because we have so many policy group mappings to security groups.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @SBI_INFRASTRUCTURE ,

I believe the Cloud Identity Engine can now get groups from AzureAD.

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/10-1/pan-os-new-features/identity-features/cloud-identity-e...

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Hello @TomYoung,

We're not yet using PANOS 10.X but we will take a look - thanks.

We ended doing what @Tony_Ellis mentioned - AzureAD/SAML for Authentification & MFA and AD on-premise for groups mapping. AzureAD information been sync from our AD on-premise to ease the user onboarding process.

Best,

• 1 accepted solution
  • 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!