Cool PDF Reader PDF Stream Handling Buffer Overflow Vulnerability - CVE-2012-4914

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Cool PDF Reader PDF Stream Handling Buffer Overflow Vulnerability - CVE-2012-4914

L0 Member

Today we are getting bombarded with reports of email issues. Digging into the reports we have a lot of users who aren't able to send PDF's and the culprit is that the attachments are getting flagged by PAN.

evievarga_0-1625076925319.png

evievarga_1-1625077009946.png

The related CVE shows it was updated yesterday. I'm struggling to find much information about the CVE. I feel like given the volume of reports we are getting these are false positives but am not sure. Need to do more analysis on my end but am curious if other people are experiencing issues with this?

4 REPLIES 4

L0 Member

I opened a case and got an official reply back that yes these are false positive detections.

Thanks for contacting Palo Alto Networks Support. I understand that you believe that you have a potential False Positive case with one of our Vulnerability signatures.

Our engineering team has determined that the signature in question has been exhibiting false positive behavior and they have decided to modify it. The signature will be modified in a future Apps and Threats content release. Since it has been determined that the signature is producing false positive results, you may elect to implement a threat exception. I will let you know once the content version reflecting the change is identified.

L1 Bithead

Hi,

We've got the same issue. Please keep us informed 

With kind regards,
ppater

L7 Applicator

The issue is resolved in latest Content 8424.

L0 Member

Security updates available in Foxit Reader 10.1.4 and Foxit PhantomPDF 10.1.4 Local attackers could exploit this vulnerability to create a symbolic link and to the logic error or improper handling of elements when working with certain PDF files.

FirstCallOnline

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!