Custom Application Signature to only allow snmp-read

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Custom Application Signature to only allow snmp-read

L7 Applicator

Hi all

I have read the "Creating Custom Signature" Tech Note for PAN-OS 5.0, because I tried to create an application that only allows snmp-read. But there I was blocked by a limitation that I need at least 7 bytes.

The snmp-payload looks like the follwing:

3035020101040c746573747465737474657374a02202045c88c1c802010002010030143012060e2b0601040181c6750201020301000500

Now with a little bit more information:

30 35 02 01 --> SNMP Header

01 --> SNMP Version v2c

04 --> community name (string)

0c --> length of Community Name (in this case 12)

74 65 73 74 74 65 73 74 74 65 73 74 --> SNMP Community (in this case testtesttest)

a0 22 02 04 --> Identifier for SNMP get-request

5c 88 c1 c8 --> request id

and after the request id there is the snmp oid data.

So the only thing to match with an application signature are snmp header, version and the identifier for a get-request. In total these are 9 bytes but between thes values there is the snmp community which could be almost any length.

As a workaround I used the following pattern: (snmp-read)|\xa0220204\x

Like this I was able to save the custom application and to work around the 7 byte limitation.

But it seems that my idea was doomed to fail from the beginning because snmp-base and snmpv2 are already known applications from PaloAlto. So my custom application will never work right? Or does anyone know another possibility to only allow snmp-read request and drop snmp-write?

Thanks,

Remo

4 REPLIES 4

L5 Sessionator

Yes, that is correct, if firewall already has an application. Custom application for device's application has some issues working on the device. If you need this feature, you can contact our DevCenter at following link :

DevCenter

They will be the best resource to assist you with this requirement. Hope this helps. Thank you.

L6 Presenter

Hi Axi,

Let me know if following article is useful.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/message/13669#13669

Regards,

Hardik Shah

L6 Presenter

Hi AXI,

PANW allows only Read only SNMP, please refer following "tech note" for more details.

Using the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Hi Hardik

Unfortunately I am not allowed to access this article.

I know that PaloAlto only allows snmp-read to the firewall itself. My idea was for other systems which are located in a zone behind the PaloAlto Firewall.

Regards,

Remo

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!