Advice on migrating Fortigate To Palo

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Advice on migrating Fortigate To Palo

L1 Bithead

So I am trying to migrate a large Fortigate firewall to Palo using expedition.

I have used Expedition with Cisco before, but the Fortigate is throwing me for a loop.

After import of the Fortigate config, I have a root, shared, and the actual vdom that has the firewall rules I am interested in migrating.

It has caused a lot of odd things in the migrated configuration before I begin working with it. A lot of triplicate address objects. A lot of objects with purple gears. Address objects with 0.0.0.0 addresses instead.

I'm migrating this all over to a Palo with a single vsys.

I already can see th e policy based  L2L VPN tunnels did not migrate correctly.

I have been doing the usual recommended workflow. I am trying to merge duplicate objects and delete unused objects. But some of these objects refuse to merge. And some purple gear objects can't be deleted either.

I suspect this has something to do with what template the particular one of the triplicate object is. Usually there is one each in shared, VDOM and root. Which of the template objects should I try to keep?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

@crose_mcnc Yes, the L2L VPN tunnels migration are not supported. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

L4 Transporter

Hi @crose_mcnc 

Thanks for reaching out.

What Expedition version are you using? Is it the latest?

Could it be possible you share your Fortinet file config with us by uploading it into a TAC case, if so, please send the TAC case number to below email fwmigrate@paloaltonetworks.com

Thanks in advance,

David

ok. So I should just open a TAC case under our service contract for the new firewall then?

Hi @crose_mcnc 
Yes, you can include in the TAC case that "it could be closed as it is only needed for sharing configuration purposes with the Expedition team".
Let us know the TAC number by email to fwmigrate@paloaltonetworks.com

Thanks,

David

L1 Bithead

I tried but the TAC case open tool keeps trying to redirect me to live community to solve the problem and won't open a case. How can I force it to allow me to open a case?It tries so hard to stop you from opening a case its not funny. If I pick problem type new configuration it automatically shoves me into community and won't give me a ticket number or a chance to upload. Is this the place to complain about how much I hate all the rigamarole I have to go through to actually get a TAC human when opening a case even though we pay for support? 😉

@crose_mcnc Try not mention expedition in the subject , if you mention expedition, it will re-direct you to live community. 

ok . I got a case number and put the config file in.

I sent an email with the case number and relevant version numbers for all the code running in an email to fwmigrate as Dave asked.

OK I ma testing the hotfixes you guys just released. It looks much better. One thing that is still not making it over are the L2L VPN tunnels. In this case they are Foritgate policy based IP sec VPN tunnels. They should be in that same config file I put in the case.

@crose_mcnc Yes, the L2L VPN tunnels migration are not supported. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!