2nd hand PA-820 licenses

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

2nd hand PA-820 licenses

L1 Bithead

I want to get a 2nd hand PA-820 from ebay to learn this from. (This is not for a business) Its my understanding that I would need a licenses to get this equipment to work correctly but I dont know to get it from and I have called the sales hotline but no one answers the phone.  I am just looking to get the firewall portion to work.  Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

Community Team Member

Hi @dolphinblue0001 ,

Here's information and the secondary market policy + several contact channels for sales:

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/services/support/support-policies/secondary-market-policy

For specific learning paths I'd can strongly recommend the learning platform BEACON:

https://beacon.paloaltonetworks.com

Cheers,

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@dolphinblue0001,

Just as a word of advice, licensing is based off the MSRP of the box in question, so you would have a cheaper option if you went with a PA-220 instead of a PA-820. The absolute cheapest way you can start to play around with PAN-OS outside of the 30-day trial is through a VM on Azure or AWS if you just want to learn things about PAN-OS and how it functions.

I generally wouldn't recommend purchasing second hand PAN gear and then try to get licensing for it. The cost of licensing and re-certification isn't insignificant, and if it doesn't pass the recertification process for any reason your out additional money and get to try the process again getting a device that will pass certification. I'd reach out to a vendor and try to get a lab unit so you have full access to licensing and you don't pay all that much for the hardware.

As an additional aside, while having a license is nice, it isn't strictly needed if you just want to learn the basic foundational aspects of PAN-OS as long as it has a newer image already on it. Without a valid support contract you can't download new dynamic updates or software releases, but you can still setup stuff like user-id and work on building out a strong rulebase. 

Thank you for the reply. 

Not what I wanted to hear but what I needed to hear. 

Thanks

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!