Advanced URL Filtering Eval expired - URL filter stops (persistent)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Advanced URL Filtering Eval expired - URL filter stops (persistent)

L2 Linker

Hi

I did an self requested Eval of Advanced URL Filtering on a PA-220@10.1.x

When the trial expires, the URL filter (or its license) is broken. Even if there is a legacy URL Filter license available.

XX@pan> show running url-license

URL license expired

License entry:
Feature: Advanced URL Filtering
Description: Palo Alto Networks Advanced URL License
Serial: XX
Authcode: XX
Issued: June 16, 2021
Expires: July 16, 2021
Expired?: yes

I can delete the license token from the firewall

delete license key Advanced_URL_Filtering_2021_06_16_IXX.key

The URL filter is working then (with the normal url license)

XX@pan> show running url-license

URL license is valid

But as soon the firewall fetches the licenses the expired Adv URL has higher priority and the URL filter stops.

I think i can't delete the Trial license in the CSP.

Does I really need to open a license case for this.

Also it's pretty ugly in a PoC situation...

Regards

fbpan_0-1627059282377.png

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@fb-pan,

Unfortunately you do need to contact support to have them remove the license file on the backend. Simply opening a support ticket is how I've dealt with this and since it's just an administrative task it's usually handled within a couple hours. 

That being said the trial license being expired shouldn't be causing your PA-220 to register to that license, and it should be falling back to the normal license without any issue. I've got the same thing on one of my LAB units and it successfully failed back to the normal license once the eval license expired. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@fb-pan,

Unfortunately you do need to contact support to have them remove the license file on the backend. Simply opening a support ticket is how I've dealt with this and since it's just an administrative task it's usually handled within a couple hours. 

That being said the trial license being expired shouldn't be causing your PA-220 to register to that license, and it should be falling back to the normal license without any issue. I've got the same thing on one of my LAB units and it successfully failed back to the normal license once the eval license expired. 

L2 Linker

thanks for sharing your experience @BPry 

L0 Member

For anyone looking for how to delete a trial license and avoid it to be fetched again, you can proceed like that.

1. At your device:

request license fetch

request licence deactivate key features DNS_xxxxxxxx.key mode manual

show license-token-files name dact_lic.xxxxxxxx.tok

copy the content and at license site click on Deativate License(s) and paste the content on text field. 

Voilá. Good Bye expired trial license forever.

You cant request another  trial license of same feature, but it wont came back at your firewall.

this is what support tried to have me do as well and it didn't work... i'm waiting patiently for them to remove the trial license as I originally requested.

request license deactivate key features PAN_DB_xxxxxxxxxx.key mode manual

Server error : Failed to generate encrypted token

L1 Bithead

ok sorry, ran it again and it worked , successfully removed the PAN-DB license, and now ONLY the Advanced URL license is showing.... still says "license required for URL filtering to function"

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!