Create Custom Report for Unused Rules

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Create Custom Report for Unused Rules

L0 Member

Hi

I am struggling a bit here. 

I've been tasked to set up various reports on palo firewall. 

One of them is to create a custom report displaying all unused rules. 

I've tried many things. I followed this link: https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClcgCAC

which basically creates a report of used rules. I need exactly the opposite. 

I've tried to use the query builder to set packet, bytes or count to zero hoping that I will be given a list of unused rules. Unfortunately it didn't work and I get "No matching records". 

Anyone has any ideas how to achieve this?

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

At the bottom of your policies page, you can always just select "Highlight Unused Rules"

unused-rules.png

We even have a Tips and Tricks article on this:

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClVICA0

If that will not suffice, then let me know and I will see if there is any other way here.

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Joe
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

a couple of more things.. if you wanted something via the CLI which may be easier to read.. you can try this command:

show running rule-use rule-base <option> type unused vsys vsys1

That command will give you, in my opinion, an easier to read list than what the GUI is capable of giving you. 

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Joe
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!