Create or clone an application

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Create or clone an application

L2 Linker

I would LOVE to create an application/AppID for SSh on an alternate port, e.h.10022 rather than 22.  I thought cloning the ssh AppID would be the way, but Clone is greyed out and unavailable.

Creating or adding an Application seems straight forward until I get to the Signatures tab. 

Can someone give me some guidance on this please?

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@BoDollis,

So this kind of depends on how in-depth you want to get with the siganture and whether or not you truly need to utilize one. For example if I simply want the traffic to be identified you could utilize an application-override policy to note that any tcp/1022 traffic to server 'x' is going to be 'ssh'. Depending on the access rights to this server this may fit your needs perfectly fine. 

Alternatively you could create a custom app-id like what I've included here that simply gives you a different app to override the application too. 

<application version="8.0.0">
  <entry name="ssh-1022">
    <default>
      <port>
        <member>tcp/1022</member>
      </port>
    </default>
    <subcategory>encrypted-tunnel</subcategory>
    <category>networking</category>
    <technology>client-server</technology>
    <description>Alternative SSH Port</description>
    <risk>4</risk>
    <used-by-malware>yes</used-by-malware>
    <able-to-transfer-file>yes</able-to-transfer-file>
    <has-known-vulnerability>yes</has-known-vulnerability>
    <tunnel-other-application>yes</tunnel-other-application>
  </entry>
</application>

However if you want to go all out then you would utilize a signature to make sure that you are only matching the traffic that you actually intend to. Certaintly recommended and the best possible solution to something like this, but not necissarly needed in all situations. 

When you create a new signature you need to specify certain conditions that will only match this traffic, for example a condition may be that I'm looking at Context http-req-headers for the pattern 'docs.legis.wisconsin\.gov' and a Qualifier of http-method GET. This signature would be able to look at the GET request for docs.legis.wisconsin.gov and classify it as my custom app-id 'Legis-Docs'. 

I would recommend that you take a look at the following; both are great resources. 

App-ID Video:

Getting-Started Custom Applications and App Override:

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!