Ctrl + w keyboard shortcut Panos cli

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Ctrl + w keyboard shortcut Panos cli

L1 Bithead

Need a keyboard shortcut for removing a word behind the cursor, similar to ctrl + W in other vendors, both ctrl + w & ctrl + u removes the whole line in Panos

9 REPLIES 9

L3 Networker

Not PAN-OS specific, but Alt + backspace will delete 1 word at a time (the one before the cursor) - is that what you need?

- DM

Sr. Technical Support Engineer, Strata

Yes, I need deleting 1 word at a time, Alt + Backspace is also not working in pan-os

-John S

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@JohnSimon,

This isn't really a feature of the cli. It maps to the undo action (generally speaking) within Windows unless it has been re-mapped by the application you are using. In Windows for example using Windows Terminal and OpenSSH an Alt+Backspace will simply remove the last entered word. 

How exactly are you connecting to your firewall and in what program? It's very possible that whatever you are using to connect simply doesn't allow that shortcut to be utilized. 

Thanks for the reply, am using secure crt 9.0.2, ctrl+w works with Junos & Ios to remove the last word, but behaves differently with Panos. I have checked with my peers who work on different terminal softwares, all of them report the same.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@JohnSimon,

Does Alt+Backspace not work for clearing the last word? It does in an OpenSSH window in Windows Terminal and through a WSL window as well. I've never seen Ctl+W used to clear the last word, only ever to close tabs, close programs, ect. 

It removes only the last letter, not the last word

alt + backspace deletes last word for me. did you try with both left and right "alt" on your keyboard?

Yes, I tried both Alt keys, both didnt work, am using Secure crt as ssh client software.

ctrl + w removes the last word in both cisco & juniper cli. it would be nice to have that in Palo alto too.

Thanks

John Simon

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @JohnSimon ,

The keyboard shortcut Esc+backspace (Esc+delete on MacOS) deletes the word before the cursor.  I tried all of these shortcuts on my NGFW (PAN-OS 10.1), and they work.

Go to next in command history Down arrow or  Ctrl+n
Go to previous in command history Up arrow or Ctrl+p
Go to beginning of line Ctrl+a
Go to end of line Ctrl+e
Go left one character Ctrl+b
Go right one character Ctrl+f
Go forward one word Esc+f
Go backward one word Esc+b
Delete character over cursor Ctrl+d
Delete word after cursor Esc+d
Delete word before cursor Esc+backspace
Delete text from the cursor to end of the line Ctrl+k
Delete the line Ctrl+u
Paste the deleted text at cursor Ctrl+y

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!