file blocking continue page issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

file blocking continue page issue

Not applicable

Hi,

I am using PANOS 4.0.3, and have created a file blocking profile object with action = continue , this should then prompt the user while downloading and on clicking continue, the user should be able to go to download the exe, etc...

The issue i am having is that on clicking continue, the browser tries to display the file i am downloading, rather than taking me to the download page, or popup... please advice.. i ahve also attached the file bloacking continue page...

cheers

Bhav

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  As mentioned, there is currently a bug open for this issue and we will provide an update once there is more information to report.

Thanks for your patience,

Doris

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

L3 Networker

Hello Bhav,

To confirm, the 'Continue' option is present & functional, but the browser is not downloading the file (no pop-up, etc...), with the browser directly opening the file instead, correct?

If so, the profile/FW will not open the file in behalf of the requestor. It will strictly allow you to continue, block or permit based on the profile created. The browser itself will either download or open the file within the browser based on configured settings. Have you performed similar testing on other machines/browsers, etc...?

I've attached the following screenshots dl-01.JPG & dl-02.JPG using Chrome v12.0.742.112.(which does not open the file & saves locally)

I've also attached browser_settings.JPG (in Firefox) which I've configured to auto-open Compressed Files within the browser.

Let us know if we are on the right track of if you are experiencing a separate issue.

Regards,

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for your response.

I have now tried this with firefox and works a treat, my only problem is, when i use internet explorer, it opens the exe file in the browser. i have attached a screen shot of what the internet explorer does when i click continue to download putty.exe...

Has any testing been done with Internet explorer, or is there some sort of setting in the internet explorer that i need to do for  allowing the continue page...

our company uses Internet Explorer as a standard browser, hence i dont have a choice but to make it work like it does on firefox...

cheers

Bhav

Bhavin,

Can you try with IE8 and check if you see the same issue? Please let us know.

Thanks

Hi mrajdev,

I am using IE8 😞

Cheers

Bhav

This is very timely.  We also have the same issue.  File downloads properly in Firefox, Opera and Chrome - but with IE 7 and 8 (have not tried 9) when you click on continue the file opens in the browser as code.  You can't use the browser or break out of the file load for some time (I assume until the file has fully opened in the browser).  If you go "back" and refresh - then you get the option to save the file locally.  Thanks!

Mike

Hi mgoodnow,

Thanks for that, it works, but not a great solution, cause i might have the patience, but to roll this particular piece of advice to the 500 mere mortal users... will be a mission. is there any settings that one could change on IE to make this work properly ?

Cheers

Bhav

I agree - it's a great feature - but in the same boat.  I would like to inact this for our IT group for more testing - however, can't go forward with the current way it works.  Hopefully it's not some strange IE setting that needs changing.  Will do more testing of versions and settings.

We are having the same issues, works with Firefox, Safari, and Chrome but not Internet Explorer(6,7,8,9).  I currently have a case opened with support on this issue.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  As mentioned, there is currently a bug open for this issue and we will provide an update once there is more information to report.

Thanks for your patience,

Doris

Just a quick update, the Support team is currently working to reproduce this issue.  I'll provide more details as they become available.

Thanks for all your patience,

Doris

I was just told by support that they can't reproduce this issue and that it was now a low priority for them :O(

We're still looking at the issue - we have some PCAPs and can reproduce the behavior, though research is still on-going.

More updates as they come,

Doris

FYI, this should be addressed in an upcoming release.

I'm experiencing something similar, currently running 4.0.3, but it's not related to downloading a file. Instead it's related to users getting "can not display web page" in IE and "connection reset" message when using firefox when opening the browser up and captive portal is attempting to redirect them to the authentication page or the "block-continue" page.

Has anyone noticed or seen this happen? I notice it only when the WMI polling fails to correctly identifty the logged on user (if it fails our setup defaults to captive portal to id) OR if the PC is logged in with an account that would be unidentified and sent to captive portal anyways.   Has anyone ever seen this before?

Traffic and URL logs do not show anything odd. They either show the attempt as a block-continue or they truly show nothing since the request is being intercepted.   Is it possible that the PA device is being overloaded so it's not serving the captive portal page and/or block-continue page?

Or is it something internal to IE8? Is this possibly related to the OP's problem?

• 1 accepted solution
  • 15 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!