FW in Palo IP changed

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

FW in Palo IP changed

L4 Transporter

Hello -

I have an HA pair of palo's that were added to Panorama. The management IP for each of those palo's has changed and are now showing in a disconnected state. How can I correct this?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

L7 Applicator

Hi @RobertShawver 

From the new management IPs of the firewalls, is it possible to reach the panorama? Is the new network configuration correctly configured and these firewalls are able to communicate to the default gateway and other networks? Is an ACL on panorama configured that restrics access to only specific IPs or is a firewall in front of the panorama that prevents the communication from the new IPs?

The communication is always coming from the firewall to panorama so you need to make sure that this way of communication is possible.

Hi @RobertShawver ,

Two points to remember when troubleshooting panorama connectivity:

- Aways the FW is the initiator of the connection. Which means FW is always the source of the traffic and panorama is just waiting for someone to call it

- Panorama is tracking firewalls by serial numbers, not by management IP. Which means panorama will accept any connection request as long as the FW serial number is added to panorama.

So by default Panorama will accept/establish TCP connection with any source IP, but can reject the connection if the provided FW S/N is not in the list of managed devices. You can control this by configuring "Permitted IPs" under the panorama management interface. That way Panorama will respond only IP from the allow list.

If everying is setup properly if FW is connected to Panorama, but its mgmt ip is change. The new IP will be detect and changed automatically. So it looks more like the new mgmt ip is not reaching the Panorama:

- Try to ping panorama from fw using mgmt interface

- Check if you have configured permitted ip panorama interface

- Last resort make a packet capture on panorama and FW interface and confirm that you have bi-directional traffic

Great info to have!  I read your post and figured it out.  I set the object for the Firewalls within Pano to IP (so pano saw the old IP and not the new).  I changed it to FQDN and whiz-bang, it connected.

@RobertShawver Can you please tell me where did you use that object? Would be great if you share a screenshot(after masking any sensitive details)

Pretty simple really, we have Addresses and Address Groups under the Objects tab in Panorama.  You create the Address object and then add it to a Address Groups object.  We then apply that Address Group to the Rules needed for them to talk.

What I, stupidly, did was when I created the Address for the managed firewall I used Type IP Netmask

Capture.PNG

What I should have done and did correct was use Type FQDN

Capture.PNG

This way if the IP changes, I don't have to do anything. 🙂

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!