GlobalProtect Pre-Logon NULL issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect Pre-Logon NULL issue

L4 Transporter

Trying to setup new config for pre-logon, seems to be not working. I am getting machine certificate null error. 

First i was using internal PKI but then i found this KB and i was hitting the same issue.

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClR8CAK

I then tried to setup with self generated certs, while i have asked the system admin team to add subject info, but still having same issue.

Below are portal config screenshots, i don't know what i am missing. PANOS 9.0.8, GP 5.1.4

image.png

External Gateways in both agent configs point to same public fqdn/ip

image.png

I have also tried selecting both options below

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Server Authentication below uses public cert, while certificate profile use self generated root CA on firewall.

image.png

Below are the local root CA and profile screenshots

image.png

image.png

image.png

Certificate imported in to personal store of local machine, generated on firewall.

On reinstall of Agent it asks to select certificate which is this that i select and get not authorized message.

Also imported root certificate from firewall in trusted certs.

image.png

12 REPLIES 12

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@raji_toor 

Seems you need Root and Intermediate Cert in Device and Certificate  profile.

Also your Machine cert need to be part of 

Root

Intermediate 

Machine

When you create Machine cert then it need to be signed by Intermediate cert.

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

@MP18 As per your suggestion i have made below changes. new root > inter > sever cert created

image.png

Included them in server profile used in Gateway authentication config tab

image.png

exported and imported rajv-test.xxx.yyy.ca from firewall into Windows local store.

reinstalled GP and tried connection, same result. Null with not authorized.

image.png

And this time i did not see any popup from GP for which cert to use from the local store.

Am i generating machine cert rajv-test right, do i need to include server-test cert somewhere.

raji_toor_1-1594099472302.png

@MP18 I have updated the config now with actual certs that are to be used, no self generated certs, but still hitting the same issue.

Test PC has both root and intermediate certs from our internal PKI. Machine cert pushed by GroupPolicy with subject field populated.

Portal authentication uses public cert in ssl-tls profile and none in certificate profile.

under agent tab root and intermediate certs from internal PKI are selected.

Gateway authentication uses same public cert ssl-tls profile and cert profile with root and intermediate in it from internal PKI

This is what i have observed now.

Including the group that works in On-demad mode, pre-logon config fails

If any users is set, user gets authenticated but i still don't see any pre-logon happening

Portal AuthenticationConnect MethodWorking
cn=emp,ou=groups,ou=emp,dc=aaa,dc=bbbbb,dc=caOn-DemandYes

pre-logonpre-logon (always-on)No
cn=emp,ou=groups,ou=emp,dc=aaa,dc=bbbbb,dc=capre-logon (always-on)No

pre-logonpre-logon (always-on)No
Anypre-logon (always-on)Yes

@raji_toor 

Machine Cert need to be imported in both Local user and Local machine in Certificate Store - Personal on each machine.

Under Portal and Gateway Authentication for SSL/TLS profile  has to be same

And also the Certificate profile under  authentication in Portal and gateway has to be same

Regards

MP

Thanks @MP18 I did not need to import to Local user store, but fixing the cert config did fix the issue.

Portal/Gateway authentication - SSL/TLS profile - This is using Public cert

Portal/Gateway authentication - Certificate Profile - This is using internal PKI root and intermediate certs

@raji_toor 

Make sure Cert in SSL/TLS profile has CN the FQDN of the VPN url and is trusted by the PA and end user.

Portal/Gateway authentication - Certificate Profile - This is using internal PKI root and intermediate certs

My assumption is that if you are using Cert PRofile with internal root and intermediate certs need to be same as Cert in  SSL/TLS profile - 

Can you please test by using either external Root or Internal Root certs and intermediate certs for both SSL/TLS and Certificate Profile?

Regards

MP

@MP18 I am pasting all the relevant screenshots of my config, and since all the documentations show config with self generated certs. This is with actual public cert and internal certs.

SSL/TLS Profile used in both portal and gateway configs

image.png

SSL/TLS Profile config

image.png

above ssl-tls profile refers this Public Certificate

image.png

Portal > agent > config >External refers public fqdn

image.png

portal > agent > root and inter certs added here issued from internal certificate authority

image.png

Certificate profile used in both portal and gateway configs

image.png

Certificate profile config referring same internal certificates

image.png

Internal certs added to firewall. In case someone my wonder about 3rd IM-ROOT below, we had setup that previously for decryption.

image.png

ROOT and ROOT-INTER and Machine cert are automatically pushed to PC by Group Policy under Local Computer. I don't know why 2 are pushed. And as per earlier mentioned KB Subject field should not be empty and refers to the PC name.

Status at login screen on reboot

image.png

Tunnel status on firewall before usre logs in to PC, that is the previous screenshot state. User is pre-logon

image.png

Tunnel status after user logs in, connection is automatically established if credentials have been entered before. 

image.png

@raji_toor 

So As per these logs it seems pre logon is working.

Does the user name pre logon to the specfic user as configured in LDAP profile?

Regards

MP

@MP18Yes it logs as the user according to the ldap profile.

@raji_toor 

So seems then it is working as expected now ?

MP

yes
  • 12 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!