NAT Issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

NAT Issue

L4 Transporter

Hi Friends,

I have 2 server hosted in lan zone and one public ip . i have configure the NAT for 1 server from outside from port 80 and its working fine. but i want access the other server from lan with public ip from port 80 but its not working showing application is undirected. please suggest.

test i.png

Regards

Satish

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

For the internal nat rule you also need to add source nat to force the reply traffic back to the firewall.  Otherwise the routing is asymmetrical directly back from the server to the source instead of through the firewall.  This is known as U turn or hairpin nat.  See this configuration example.

How to Configure U-Turn NAT

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L7 Applicator

For the internal nat rule you also need to add source nat to force the reply traffic back to the firewall.  Otherwise the routing is asymmetrical directly back from the server to the source instead of through the firewall.  This is known as U turn or hairpin nat.  See this configuration example.

How to Configure U-Turn NAT

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

Hi Steven,

Let me check and get back to you. Smiley Happy

Regards

Satish

Hello,

I am new to PA firewalls. Is the U-TURN NAT really working for you sicne I have not seen anyone stating that it works. As a matter of fact I saw this link which shows it does not work. No TAC in Palo Alto is able to help me yet or state that it works or does not work. Pretty frustrting.

DNS Doctoring feature does not work. 

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClfjCAC

But I tried the workaround along with 3 different TACs and it did not work. Really appreciate any feedback.

Adil.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!