Revoked Machine Certificate still able to Connect Global Protect Gateway

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Revoked Machine Certificate still able to Connect Global Protect Gateway

L4 Transporter

It appears possible to configure the firewall to be an OCSP responder to itself/clients from the posts below? Is that correct? (Specifically referring to self-signed certificates generated on the firewall)   If so, is there any risk to having this service run on an external interface, in order to control/revoke machine certificates?  If the need arises for a certificate revocation, is the firewall responding to itself and not letting the client connect to the portal/gateway, or is the client ultimately making that decision?

I'm finding the GP agent will still connect to the Gateway even if I have revoked a generic machine certificate used in the profile for the Gateway.  The CA certificate is still good, but If I revoke the machine certificate, and it shows revoked in the firewall, the client can still connect.   

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClIzCAK

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClteCAC

2 REPLIES 2

L1 Bithead

Same question here. How to get GP to check for revoked certs if there is no CRL or OCSP because it's self signed by the PA

L1 Bithead

@Sec101 

As I had the same question I did some investigation 🙂

You need to:

- Enable OCSP checking in Device > Session => Decryption Settings

tomdevos-D09_1-1616744655859.png

- Create an HTTP OCSP Service Management Profile under Network Profiles > Interface Management

tomdevos-D09_0-1616744614718.png

- Create An OCSP Responder under Device > Certificate Management > OCSP Responder

tomdevos-D09_2-1616744790792.png

- Create Client Certificates with this Responder as OCSP Responder

tomdevos-D09_3-1616744923074.png

- make sure OCSP checking is enabled on the Certificate profile used for GP

tomdevos-D09_4-1616745066050.png

tomdevos-D09_5-1616745129080.png

Next to that: 

Pay attention that if you revoke the certificate in the Certificate store it isn't automatically and immediatly revoked for the GP service as OCSP is cached on the FW: 

To immediatly have affect you need to execute the following commands in CLI 

• debug sslmgr delete ocsp all (or instead of all tab comlete with your OCSP URL
  • debug dataplane reset ssl-decrypt certificate-status

Now the certificate will be revoked and if the client tries to (re)connect it will get that message.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!