Test Lab equipment

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Test Lab equipment

L3 Networker

Hi !

We're considering buying a new PA NGF for our test LAB,virtual or hardware. Currently we own 5000 series

What will be the most suitable decision? Your advices?

Thank you!

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

If you just test small specific functions in the lab any vm or device will do.

I've had to lab upgrade and migration processes and this can be serious inconvenience when the lab device does not have the same interface structure and naming as the production device.  In these scenarios I need to import a full configuration from a production device into the lab then verify and document a MOP (method of procedure) for an upgrade.  When the lab hardware does not match production you end up with a lot of manual changes to the configuration which you  then also need to be sure do not affect the MOP or any of its outcome testing.  So for these types of lab scenario is is much better to have matching or nearly matching hardware.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L6 Presenter

Hi Olek,

It depends on LAB requirement. Normally I would suggest H/W like PA-200 & PA-500. But that can be decided only on requirement. Can you please tell me precise requirement.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

L4 Transporter

Olek,

The PA-200 is the 'smallest' box, as far as what it can handle, but it can handle enough for a lab setup... This entirely depends on how big your lab setup will be, but if you have any specific concerns, please look at the hardware comparison for specifics listed below.

Thanks!

PA-500 vs PA-200 Details

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/products/product-comparison.html?chosen=pa-500,pa-200

Please do not forget to mark any 'helpful' or 'correct' answers.

L7 Applicator

If you just test small specific functions in the lab any vm or device will do.

I've had to lab upgrade and migration processes and this can be serious inconvenience when the lab device does not have the same interface structure and naming as the production device.  In these scenarios I need to import a full configuration from a production device into the lab then verify and document a MOP (method of procedure) for an upgrade.  When the lab hardware does not match production you end up with a lot of manual changes to the configuration which you  then also need to be sure do not affect the MOP or any of its outcome testing.  So for these types of lab scenario is is much better to have matching or nearly matching hardware.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

L0 Member

I have 2 PA-5050 im trying to get rid of. can sell you them cheap if you need to replicate your production environment in a LAB. They qualify for the PaloAlto second hand market policy.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!